Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Many Fans To Useless...

Well my friend has 10 fans, top model, but i would think its useless that many fans? Im not a computer expert but why so many fans, I have 3 fans myself but all I need is 3.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/digitally-unique_1770_2414987
    +10 fans for extreme cooling performance
    +Radeon 9800PRO
    +Golden power supply for static prevention?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    well, unless your friend's name isnt "clocker," the fans r probly a waste

lol i cant believe i just sed that

btw i like ur avatar

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I don't think it can hurt, although he has to ensure he has the same amount drawing air in as he he does out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    The fans will be good up to a point, but when you get to many, there useless, its a case of testing and trying

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Spock4@24 December 2003 - 08:11
    Well my friend has 10 fans, top model, but i would think its useless that many fans? Im not a computer expert but why so many fans, I have 3 fans myself but all I need is 3.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/digitally-unique_1770_2414987
    +10 fans for extreme cooling performance
    +Radeon 9800PRO
    +Golden power supply for static prevention?
    perhaps it doubles up as a hovercraft

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ah, the famous Xaser3.
    That unit has but 7 casefans.
    The PSU has an extra 2 and the HSF makes 10.

The stock Thermaltake fans are very quiet, but move very little air. I have replaced all of mine with better performers.
    My Xaser is currently running 12 fans all together.

I don't think it can hurt, although he has to ensure he has the same amount drawing air in as he he does out.
    Samurai, do you state this from experience or just repetition? In fact, many people ( myself included) prefer a "positive pressure" scenario...more intake than exhaust.

The fans will be good up to a point, but when you get to many, there useless, its a case of testing and trying
    Kunal, the actual number is irrelevant- too few, or the same number poorly placed can be equally useless. You're right about the testing bit, though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by clocker@24 December 2003 - 14:21
    Ah, the famous Xaser3.
    That unit has but 7 casefans.
    The PSU has an extra 2 and the HSF makes 10.

The stock Thermaltake fans are very quiet, but move very little air. I have replaced all of mine with better performers.
    My Xaser is currently running 12 fans all together.

Samurai, do you state this from experience or just repetition? In fact, many people ( myself included) prefer a "positive pressure" scenario...more intake than exhaust.

Kunal, the actual number is irrelevant- too few, or the same number poorly placed can be equally useless. You're right about the testing bit, though.
    more intake than exhaust?

rem a long time ago i posted a thing about fans and where to put em and u said MORE EXHAUST less intake!

i guess ill hav to open up my computer again

and one off topic question u noe for the side case windows wt kind of material is it? glass? or the plastic kind of glass?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Jai,

I certainly didn't mean to mislead you, my opinions about fans and their placement is in a state of flux.
    Don't change your arrangement based on my advice only...if it's working out well then why bother?
    I simply hate to hear people say things based only on stuff that they've read somewhere or a mysterious "expert" told them or it's just something that "everybody" knows ( NO!, not you, 1234...).
    I have probably made at least one significant change to my fan setup every other day for the past month.
    There is no "best setup"...it is completely dependent on your individual case/hardware configuration.

The side window on the Xaser is made of cast acrylic...it fits beautifully but is scarily brittle. Many of the people who have tried to open up the fan grills have cracked them in the attempt...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker, i can't help but be curious in regards to what end your continual tinkering is leading? are you using your PC in such intensive applications that overclocking and a dozen fans worth of cooling are necessary... or is this more of a gearhead-type hobby where tinkering & tweaking is an end unto itself?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@24 December 2003 - 08:42
    or is this more of a gearhead-type hobby where tinkering & tweaking is an end unto itself?
    That's the ticket.
    I am fascinated by the process not the end result.
    I read so much advice that people are just parroting with no first hand experience, that I decided to see what was what for myself.
    Next step is watercooling ( much cooler hardware to dink around with&#33, and I wanted to have a good baseline with air to compare to...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast