Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvd Burner Probs

Having problems with my Sony DWU10A DVDRW drive- I can't get it to burn using media thats supposed to be compatible, and according to the Sony website my model doesn't even exist. I think it's a firmware problem, and I think that I need to upgrade to the firmware for the DRU500A. Before I do though, can anyone confirm that this is correct? Or is it a driver issue?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Are you using the bundled Nero DVD software?
    I have heard of problems with Nero and other hardware brands also, perhaps before you try anything drastic you could try different burning software.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    No! Don't upgrade with that firmware!

They are not the same model.

As for solving your problem, contact your seller or Sony to see if they have a solution.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'm trying to backup my dvds with xcopy xpress. The firmware upgrade isn't a problem- i know people who have done it and it works fine. Starting to think that it's the media, although they are supposed to be compatible.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My research into burners ( I'm getting one for Xmas) shows that media compatability is the number one issue that people complain about.
    Have you switched brands recently?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    I have the exact same burner and I can safely say it is multi-functional. This means it can handle every DVD format thrown at it. I've successfully burned DVD's with the + format as well as - and haven't had any problems.

What DVD media are you using? I need all the specs.

Where do you live? Not exact address, but if you're in the UK I know some good sites to purchase media.

What is your current firmware version?

What burning software are you using and what is the version?

I'll need this before I can help you.

Samurai

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by clocker@24 December 2003 - 08:49
    My research into burners ( I'm getting one for Xmas) shows that media compatability is the number one issue that people complain about.
    Just curious, what model do you think you'll be getting?

I'll be getting one right after Xmas (specials).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@24 December 2003 - 09:37
    I'm trying to backup my dvds with xcopy xpress. The firmware upgrade isn't a problem- i know people who have done it and it works fine. Starting to think that it's the media, although they are supposed to be compatible.
    r u trying to burn to dvd+Rs?

if you are, heres a nasty little trick these companies try to pull: they say its compatible with dvd+rw. it usually means its ONLY compatible with dvd+rws, NOT +Rs!!!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+24 December 2003 - 10:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 24 December 2003 - 10:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@24 December 2003 - 08:49
    My research into burners ( I&#39;m getting one for Xmas) shows that media compatability is the number one issue that people complain about.
    Just curious, what model do you think you&#39;ll be getting?

I&#39;ll be getting one right after Xmas (specials). [/b][/quote]
    STOP&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    ud better wait a month or two, cuz then there will be dual-layered dvd+Rs that u can use, which would probly not be backwards compatible

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ok. Firmware upgraded, so I now have a Sony DRU500A running the latest firmware (dl&#39;d from the Sony site, v.2.0g). It supports DVD + and -, both R and RW. The discs i&#39;ve been trying to use were a gift from a friend who checked them for compatibilty on the Novatech website, but until he gets home from work I can&#39;t get the exact media details. All I can tell you is that they are blank white DVD-R, no text on them at all, and came in a pack of 25.

Upgrading the firmware is not the cause of the problems- the discs wouldn&#39;t work before either, and I just used a Sony DVD-RW as a test and it&#39;s written to that without errors.

So the drive is ok (better than before in fact). I guess what I really need is a recommendation for cheapish discs that actually work, as this is the second time i&#39;ve got discs that don&#39;t work.

And thanks for the other help and suggestions people, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast