Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's With The Riaa?

spong
    I sent a mail to the RIAA along similar lines to this, but they're to busy to respond to me.

I guess they keep an eye on this site, so maybe someone would care to respond to this here?

When the RIAA accuse p2p network users of theft, they are more or less correct. But on the other hand, is the music indusrty doing anything positive to combat the problem?

Nope. They're doing (or threatening) plenty of negative actions. 'We'll sue you', 'all your favourite bands will starve', etc etc.

So, a couple of questions;

1. If I want to PAY for my music (and as an expat living in the ass of the world, I can't always get it locally), what do I do? I checked out the suggested paysites on RIAA. They are lame to say the least. I'm not bashing religion, but if a 'christian music' paysite is supposed to quench my thirst for current stuff, I'd suggest they get my Grandmother in as webamster.

I'm not saying that everybody has this view, but in my case, I am genuinely prepared to pay, but nothing is on offer.

2. The music companies also make a lot of noise about this. Likewise, they offer NOTHING online. It's all hard copies. I'd never receive it (I have tried).

3. So reconcile this. For a band to be successful (profitable), they need to get their music out the door. The fantastic distribution systems that the RIAA tell us add so much to the cost don;t extend to half the world. They can't deliver, we can't collect, so in fact they are saying 'we'd rather you didn't hear it than steal it'.

That's bullshit. I can tell you, someone mailed me an MP3 of Avril Levigne, and as soon as I could, I bought the CD. The mailing of the MP3 was illegal, but becuase of it, I bought the CD. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't heard the MP3.

And I can also tell you, I have around 500 CD's - that's 300 gigs of music - 6 - 7000 tracks? I have maybe 60 - 70 illegal MP3's. Am I so unusual? I doubt it.

So, my advice to the RIAA - if you're gonna bust me, don't bust me for doing something that YOU have totally failed to remedy. If I'm stealing something that YOU are selling, OK. But I'm not.

Think of it as simple economics. There is demand, but no supply. p2p has filled the supply gap. If you want to change that, get off your asses.

2. Music   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by spong@18 February 2003 - 17:11
    And I can also tell you, I have around 500 CD's - that's 300 gigs of music - 6 - 7000 tracks? I have maybe 60 - 70 illegal MP3's. Am I so unusual? I doubt it.
    I think people have it the other way round.

500 mp3s and 70 cds

btw I dont think that 500 cds are 300 gigs.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Music   -   #3
    spong
    Originally posted by Benno+18 February 2003 - 19:10--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 18 February 2003 - 19:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--spong@18 February 2003 - 17:11
    And I can also tell you, I have around 500 CD&#39;s - that&#39;s 300 gigs of music - 6 - 7000 tracks? I have maybe 60 - 70 illegal MP3&#39;s. Am I so unusual? I doubt it.

500 mp3s and 70 cds

btw I dont think that 500 cds are 300 gigs. [/b][/quote]
    No?

How many is it then?

Thanks for the, er, input.

4. Music   -   #4
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by spong+18 February 2003 - 13:14--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spong @ 18 February 2003 - 13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Benno@18 February 2003 - 19:10
    <!--QuoteBegin--spong
    @18 February 2003 - 17:11
    And I can also tell you, I have around 500 CD&#39;s - that&#39;s 300 gigs of music - 6 - 7000 tracks? I have maybe 60 - 70 illegal MP3&#39;s. Am I so unusual? I doubt it.

500 mp3s and 70 cds

No?

How many is it then?

Thanks for the, er, input. [/b][/quote]
    It depends on what you ripped them at.

And please register as a member of this board spong.

5. Music   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    When you think of 10 MB per song it would be 70 gigs.
    But 10 MB is pretty large.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Music   -   #6
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+18 February 2003 - 19:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 18 February 2003 - 19:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -spong@18 February 2003 - 13:14
    Originally posted by -Benno@18 February 2003 - 19:10
    <!--QuoteBegin--spong
    @18 February 2003 - 17:11

500 mp3s and 70 cds

No?

How many is it then?

Thanks for the, er, input.
    It depends on what you ripped them at.

And please register as a member of this board spong. [/b][/quote]
    These are &#39;store bought&#39; cd&#39;s. I&#39;d assume 650 - 700 mb each, x 500

Vs MP3&#39;s, using the same conversion (about 32 megs for a full cd audio track), I&#39;d guess I&#39;ve got 2gb equivlent of rip offs, or about .6%

I&#39;d be interested to know what other have as a proportion though, as in fact I&#39;m clueless. Let&#39;s say everyone else is 10 x as naughty as me, it&#39;s still only 6%. Assuming a whopping 25% of music buyers use Kazaa (would it realy be that much?), we&#39;re talking 1.5% of all music that people own is &#39;stolen&#39;.

That&#39;s gotta be a high side estimate too. Can&#39;t equate this to us &#39;killing&#39; music.

I&#39;m just not in favour of swallowing an argument without thinking about it. I&#39;d really be interested to know what others &#39;stats&#39; are.

Will register now.

7. Music   -   #7
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    The MPAA , following the RIAA closely, said last year was a "banner year" for the industry.

One would think they are not suffering that much.

Besides, how is this any different than getting a 10 pack of tapes in the 80&#39;s and taping albums I my friends had? I mean it sure seems the same to me.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

8. Music   -   #8
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by SuperJude™@18 February 2003 - 14:09
    The MPAA , following the RIAA closely, said last year was a "banner year" for the industry.

Besides, how is this any different than getting a 10 pack of tapes in the 80&#39;s and taping albums I my friends had? I mean it sure seems the same to me.

-SJ™
    In the 80&#39;s?Man I was still useing tapes in the mid to late 90&#39;s and taping albums from my friends.I still know people who do.

9. Music   -   #9
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    I had more money in the 90&#39;s and bought my own tapes lmao, but yeah I only stopped using tapes well....

Okay I still have some that I still listen to especially at work.

It just sounds so.........90&#39;s (hehehehe)

<-------- this smilie looks like it is giving a blowie, btw, so that is for the RIAA blow me beotches&#33;&#33;&#33;

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

10. Music   -   #10
    spong (waiting for reg confirmat
    Originally posted by SuperJude™@18 February 2003 - 20:09

-SJ™
    I agree.

I think the difference is probably a) quality, although a better comparison is CDs/burner nowadays which makes that redundant, but more importantly B) accessibility - with p2p you hear (or just thunk of) a song, and go get it. You don&#39;t need a friend with a CD to copy it from.

I think what worries them is that it&#39;s SO easy.

Besides, they always moaned about us making tapes too&#33; I remember the skull and crossbones signs in record shops saying &#39;home taping is killing music&#39;.

Metalicca probably have the same thing as a bumper sticker on their Ferraris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast