Thread: Transferring A Folder

Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Hi. When i try to transfer a folder from my ntfs partition to my fat 32 partition i get this message:

Does this message mean i will lose some files?

Basically my ntfs partition has loads of work (word docs) and i needs to reformat that drive. i am wanting to move all the files on to my bigger partition and store temporary there until i get the drive formatted.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you wont lose anything, the thumbs file its on about, is a database, which stores a copy of the thumbnails views of the files, in that particular folder, and the extra stuff ur gona lose is nothing, just carry on, it will be fine.

you may want to convert you other partition to ntfs as its more secure, and better at managing itself that fat32.

edit: also why not keep your 2nd partition to store all your files on, thats what i do, and alot of people do, so that whenyour windows parition goes, everything will be fine on your 2nd partition, and you wont lose valuable data.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Regular Member BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by Livy@26 December 2003 - 16:24
    you wont lose anything, the thumbs file its on about, is a database, which stores a copy of the thumbnails views of the files, in that particular folder, and the extra stuff ur gona lose is nothing, just carry on, it will be fine.

you may want to convert you other partition to ntfs as its more secure, and better at managing itself that fat32.

edit: also why not keep your 2nd partition to store all your files on, thats what i do, and alot of people do, so that whenyour windows parition goes, everything will be fine on your 2nd partition, and you wont lose valuable data.
    thanks for the reassurance! the thing is i have a 60 gig hdd and it is partitioned into 3:
    my system partition is 9 gig and it stores windows and all my applications are installed on that drive and that drive is ntfs.

my second partition is again 9 gig and this is ntfs as well. this drive contains work files, music and application setups here along with that i have installed mirc, emule and shareaza on this drive.

my third partiton is 40 gig and stores my backups, nero image files( win xp pro iso's, office xp iso's), films which i have downloaded. this drive is fat 32 nad i prefer to leave it as it is.

is that OK the way i use my space?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    yeah, the way you were saying it i thought it was only 2 partitions, system and backup. i always prefer to keep things to 2 partitions really, system(windows, programs etc), and downloads and documents etc,