Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake In Iran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3350357.stm

At least 20,000 people have died in the huge earthquake which struck south-eastern Iran, according to officials.

The ancient citadel in the picture is reported to be almost complety destroyed.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    officals say that the number of dead can reach as high as 20.000 but according to preliminary evidence there are 5000-6000 casualties.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    no one seems to realize how huge this is. the lowest estimates are atleast 25k..
    thats like 10x as much sept 11th.. but no one seems to care. There are people walking around with no family members who once had 50 person families. Tens of thousands dont have homes.. its so awful.

CNN.com&#39;s big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ&#33;&#33;&#33; It makes me want to puke.

Do these people not count&#33;???
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It&#39;s been confirmed 22,000 dead (12 hours ago). Estimates go as high as 40,000.

With those numbers, it&#39;s entire generations and smaller communities completely wiped out.

It&#39;s all over the news here. However, being part of the "axis of evil," it could be a rather sticky sitution diplomatically, at least for Bush, and the American media probably reflects that.

Bam was a beautiful ancient city, but with so many people in such a place, a high death toll really couldn&#39;t have been avoided.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by mogadishu@29 December 2003 - 21:12
    no one seems to realize how huge this is. the lowest estimates are atleast 25k..
    thats like 10x as much sept 11th.. but no one seems to care. There are people walking around with no family members who once had 50 person families. Tens of thousands dont have homes.. its so awful.

CNN.com&#39;s big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ&#33;&#33;&#33; It makes me want to puke.

There are distinctions that should be drawn here, mogadishu.

The responsibility for the Iran earthquake that has decimated Bam does not accrue to any country (at least, I don&#39;t think so-you may have another opinion) or other earthly entity, so to equate this tragedy to 9/11 is fallacious and facetious on your part, as there was a responsible party in that instance.

I guess what I&#39;m trying to point out is that your attempt to draw a parallel between the two tragedies, while inappropriate in the extreme, is also indicative of your bias, said bias being the only possible reason for your bringing this absurd comparison.

By the way, I was watching FOXNEWS when the story broke; they were all over it, leading with it as details emerged.

One could almost say FOXNEWS&#39; coverage reeked of a certain humane empathy most here would not believe possible.

CNN is, as everyone knows, the network of elitists.

I pray for the people of Bam.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    the toll is at 50,000

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    This is a tragic incident and it is heartening to see that people are setting aside politics in order to bring what little help there can be after an event like this.

The world seems like a safe place but moments like this show ephemeral life on the surface of a large rock hurtling through space can be.

Nothing can bring solace to those whose loss is too great to bear, but we should give thought to those who live on these danger zones and perhaps assist more before the events occur.

The news coverage is always skewed in favour of home news. In some cases more grotesquely than others, but usually with a degree of sympathy for the overseas victims. I have only seen the BBC&#39;s but the coverage has been considerable and distressing.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by mogadishu@30 December 2003 - 01:12

Who gives a shit about iranies, the earthquake done half the work now lets finish the job&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

WHAT A BUNCH OF SISSYS U GUYS ARE, o its so sad STFU Pussys.

Close this thread dont support freedom of speech about crap countries.

THE MIDDLE EAST SUCKS, KILL THEM ALL&#33;&#33;&#33;

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Cotton

If little children crushed beneath rubble floats your boat who are we to argue?

:helpsmile:
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    At times like these all you can do is laugh...

At those Dirty Dune Coons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast