Thread: Removing The Useless Wi-fi Card From Centrino

Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the Wi-Fi card (Intel PRO/Wireless network connection 802.11b) that comes with Intel Centrino?

I would want to upgrade to a card that supports the 802.11g standard ...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i dont actually have one so im not 100% but i think its integrated so u cant remove it however u could possibly disable it through the bios or somewhere? and add ur upgrade in an expansion card with it on

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    I know that the whole Centrino deal means that everything is integrated ..... but I was wondering about how integrated it really is ...

I found this pic over at Tom's Hardware ...fourth from the top ...

So I'm thinking it mightn't be as integrated as Intel first led us to believe ...

I tried searching the forums there ... but I didn't find anything ...

Would appreciate it if anybody here is familiar with this and can :helpsmile: ....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    i heard its a "mini-pci" card... if it is it should be removeable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    Wouldn't it be easier just to disable the integrated wi-fi card and use a PCMCIA 802.11g card? That way it's still easily upgradeable.

Google doesn't yield any useful results on replacing the integrated wi-fi card, as far as I can see.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skeptic's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@28 December 2003 - 14:56
    Wouldn't it be easier just to disable the integrated wi-fi card and use a PCMCIA 802.11g card? That way it's still easily upgradeable.
    I guess I'll do this if I need to ..... but I would much prefer if I can add it in internally so that I can leave the PC Card slot free ...

@GCNaddict

Yeah ... it's a mini pci card. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Dell Truemobile 1300 with b/g support ...

Anyone played around with a Centrino before?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    *Grunt*
    You may have to observe a circuit diagram to remove intergrated components, but if you know what has to be done it will mainly involve soldering and re soldering.