Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D.e.m.o.c.r.a.c.y (((((((((dicttor))))))))))

In general people seem not to question the spreading of democracy, its one of the few beliefs we in the west seem perfectly happy to impose on people and i was wondering why?

Imo democracy is inherently flawed due to its reliance on the quality and knowledge of the voters . Did you know that over 50% of people are below average intelligence I've actually never voted, I missed my chance at the last general election because my flatmate misplaced my postal vote, I don't know who i would have voted for, but chances are i would have known and understood incredibly little about the policies and effects thereof of whichever party i voted for, and i suspect that in that situation i would not have been alone. The average voter knows little and understands less. Throw in the intricacies & vagaries of inter and intra party dynamics and that the general public only seem to think of self-interest short term benefit and i think that sums up most of my main reasons for disliking democracy.

Its not that i totally dislike the idea of democracy, perhaps with some modifications it could be better. I read somewhere that america used to have a literacy test for voters, but that it was scrapped, i think the idea of some form of voter testing is a sound one, perhaps not of literacy, but maybe of knowledge and understanding of policies? This would no doubt increase voter apathy, but the average quality of each vote may rise.

If anyone has any thoughts on why democracy is actually a good way of making decisions...

to quote the bard
    Originally posted by i have add

huh C u gyus just stay quite just like in the past to afraid to find out the truth
    cause then u think WTF have i been doing im still gona DIE every 1 dies but new
    ppl come to shape the world for better or for worse
    Plzz post ur comments especially any thoeries u ppl Might have
    (Sorry if anything doesn't make sense, I'm half asleep)

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    It is a good way of thinking because it empowers the interested individual with the ability to control (or believe that he can) his future.

Laws to exclude people from voting would be perceived as a scam by "those in control" to shun those who are asking for change and help.

For instance, blacks were allowed to vote after being freed, but then some States said, "Oh wait, you have to own land in order to vote". Just a way the system can screen those who it does not want to participate.

And no, most blacks could not read either, it was illegal to teach this to a slave.

The concept that people are given a sense of empowerment, a sense of some control over their destiny, is a fine and noble one. Although people may not be versed in politics, people often know what they want from a new government and vote to secure their interests.

My parents, for instance, are more concerned about medication costs and health care issues than anything else and this will control their vote.

I still am in favor of the benevolent dictator myself, but that is another story.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ilw@27 December 2003 - 19:15
    Did you know that over 50% of people are below average intelligence
    How can this be?
    Wouldn't this fact lower the "average" in "average intelligence"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by clocker+28 December 2003 - 03:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 28 December 2003 - 03:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ilw@27 December 2003 - 19:15
    How can this be?
    Wouldn&#39;t this fact lower the "average" in "average intelligence"? [/b][/quote]
    the boy makes a good point

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by the.gringo+28 December 2003 - 04:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the.gringo &#064; 28 December 2003 - 04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@28 December 2003 - 03:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-ilw
    @27 December 2003 - 19:15

How can this be?
    Wouldn&#39;t this fact lower the "average" in "average intelligence"?
    the boy makes a good point[/b][/quote]

I smell "merit badge" for a certain "boy".
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Thanks hobbes, but my badge sash is already full.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    A true democracy is where everybody participates, thou this can also be referred as mob rule.

In Australia once you register on the electoral roll it&#39;s compulsory to vote, not showing up to vote at an election will get you fined, if you refuse to pay you’ll get imprisoned usually for a short term 7 - 30 days, this seems to put a halt to groups getting undue amounts of say over policy unlike the US were this seems rife, but it doesn’t completely stop it.

In the last election John Howard used a racist streak in Australians to win the last election by treating Refugees as a threat, proving that racism was alive and well in the electorate, a compassionate doco about refugees even had people making ignorant statements like "there’s not enough room for them" and so on, Although in reality John Howard has allowed many more people to migrate to Australia as long as they have money that is.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by hobbes+28 December 2003 - 03:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 28 December 2003 - 03:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by the.gringo@28 December 2003 - 04:14
    Originally posted by clocker@28 December 2003 - 03:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-ilw
    @27 December 2003 - 19:15

How can this be?
    Wouldn&#39;t this fact lower the "average" in "average intelligence"?

the boy makes a good point

I smell "merit badge" for a certain "boy". [/b][/quote]
    lmao

is that ur kid hobbes?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    His kid?
    That is hobbes himself.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    There is talk about allowing only high school educated citizens to vote in the u.s.

but this is silly.

does this mean that the hooker who dropped out of high school, can&#39;t choose the candidate who she thinks will allow her to have abortions.

whether you agree or not, she is still a c itizen of the united states and deserves her vote.

If you go after intelligence, what next, weight?

then 65% of americans wouldn&#39;t be able to vote.

But The U.S. needs to wake up and realize that having the right to vote is an amazing achievment, its sad that what, 11% of the voting population actually votes?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast