Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum Has Changed!

No, not really. It is an amusing thing I have seen posted every few months or so in my 9 month existence.

It is all about the past being viewed through rose colored glasses. "Back in the day" the forum was "this and that".

This may have been true at conception, but once the member number got to a critical mass, the forum has remained the same.

Once people became anonymous, they began to act as the animals they are. In a reaction to this, many clone forums have been spawned where people are kinder and gentler. Sure, this is a no brainer. In a forum with 28 people, a third being administrators, people will be more polite. If you stir shit there you will be quickly ostracized.

The problem is that all they do is say, "hey babe how ya doing? /me hugs you". "Hey man, howya been, 'sup dude".

Nice bland chitchat and all that.

Here, in the megaforum, the individual is more annonymous and hence likely to be his true self, which is a bit more caustic.

So I guess this leads to the trade off. You can post mindless endless hellos and hugs in a tight community. When you do engage in discussion it will be much more polite, which is nice. The trade of is that your perspectives are fairly limited and when you post a thread you may not receive a single response for days. Alternatively, you can come here and get replies within minutes. Unfortunately you must fend off the cornholers, but you will have the chance to talk to people from all over the world and glean unique insight from time to time.

To each his own.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    yeah the forum has changed, we have some snowy skin and loads of new forums. kid.
    <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JOIN MY FORUM TODAY IT IS FUCKING SWEET</span></span>

3. Lounge   -   #3
    BANNED
    Why does one have to exclude the other? Don&#39;t they both have their place?

This board has a fair share of arseholes, little boards kick them off.

Smaller boards are, as you say, far more friendly that KL.

As for the board changing .... that&#39;s a fact&#33; It has gone downhill fast, some very good posters have decided they are better off on the smaller boards.

Maybe you should try it Hobbes, you sound like you could do with a rest sometimes.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    i whole-heartedly agree with this Hobbes chap.

I&#39;m certain that the appearance of myself and my fellow Pop Idol judges have irked a number of people, but variety is the spice of life.

/nikki hugs the KL Board, smooches&#33;

5. Lounge   -   #5
    an interesting outlook

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    This is very imporatant:

Once people became anonymous, they began to act as the animals they are. In a reaction to this, many clone forums have been spawned where people are kinder and gentler. Sure, this is a no brainer. In a forum with 28 people, a third being administrators, people will be more polite. If you stir shit there you will be quickly ostracized

The problem is that all they do is say, "hey babe how ya doing? /me hugs you". "Hey man, howya been, &#39;sup dude".

Nice bland chitchat and all that.

Here, in the megaforum, the individual is more annonymous and hence likely to his true self, which is a bit more caustic.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@28 December 2003 - 04:31
    Why does one have to exclude the other? Don&#39;t they both have their place?

This board has a fair share of arseholes, little boards kick them off.

Smaller boards are, as you say, far more friendly that KL.

As for the board changing .... that&#39;s a fact&#33; It has gone downhill fast, some very good posters have decided they are better off on the smaller boards.

Maybe you should try it Hobbes, you sound like you could do with a rest sometimes.

As you intuit Billy, I was referring to the loss of UKman and others, who I do miss. My post was to get them to realize that this board cannot change with this many people unless you have the power to change human nature.

To expect the board to mutate into some kind of "stepford wifian" harmony is unrealistic.

I get frustrated yes, but I can deal with it. To be honest there was certain member who pissed me off so much because of his intellectual dishonesty that I almost left. Fortunately, I think I won the day and he is gone for some months now. I can deal with children easier than frauds.

I was just using a back door approach to getting some of our "old school" stalwarts to return and just ignore the rubbish, Biggles style. We can still have fun here.

I have been to your site Billy, I go there everyday. There are some nice pictures there and the posters are more intimate in how they expose the person behind the name. The number of people is just too cramped. It even seems that Hypoluxa has already gotten booted.

If your forum were to grow to 60,000, it would be just like this one. I don&#39;t want people to abandon ship just because we are weathering a storm.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    This summer during the infamous server outage, hobbes recommended another forum as a temporary refuge.
    I joined and attempted to make a go of it there, but it was just too tame, too nice and ultimately, too boring.
    The endless *hugs*, etc that hobbes pointed out irritated me no end, as did the aggressive and intentional hijacking, but I&#39;ve learned to just ignore it (mostly).
    Whenever I saw certain member&#39;s names I simply didn&#39;t open the topic.

Lately I&#39;ve found other forums that cater to my (twisted) interests in hardware, but this is still the best place for general interest browsing.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    well clocker son, i feel for you, cos i feel the same the most annoying thing in the world is that hugging smiley.

i vote it gets banned

it is even more annoying when people do things like this

me--------&#62; <-------You
    <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JOIN MY FORUM TODAY IT IS FUCKING SWEET</span></span>

10. Lounge   -   #10
    BANNED
    I understand your points Hobbes, and I agree with you. I don&#39;t want my site to have 60,000 members, that would be a disaster. The "Club" was initially set up for the six of us to learn how to run and configure a board, and for a permanent home for the friends we&#39;d picked up along the way. It is not a substitute for this one, in fact, almost all of us still post here.

So when are you gonna sign up?

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast