Thread: Free Webhost That Allow Cgi

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Does anyone know any free sites that allow CGI.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    Don't most? Have you tried creating a cgi-bin folder and run the cgi from there?

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Did you even bother to search google before you posted here?

http://freewebspace.net/

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Creating a folder called cgi-bin won't work. Also, when looking for it on google, the info is either dated, i.e. you know have to pay or I have to wait like 5 days for the hosting to become available, I don't have that much time. Please don't be rude, don't you think I havn't tried google. I've been on that website given, and most sites there are what I have described.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    "won't work" why?

You don't even say if you've tried yet.

Did you? Did you run a server test on it from the admin panel?

Have you contacted your host to find out why it won't work?

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Yep. I was reading a tutorial which told me I needed a CGI-Bin folder. I didn't see one, so I created one without reading on. I created one and then I read. It said that "simply creating a cgi-bin folder will not work". I trust what I read because I got this from a reliable source that hasn't failed me.

By the way, I havn't seen you in a while balamm. What happened? On vacation or something?

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by 99shassan@28 December 2003 - 19:00
    Yep. I was reading a tutorial which told me I needed a CGI-Bin folder. I didn't see one, so I created one without reading on. I created one and then I read. It said that "simply creating a cgi-bin folder will not work". I trust what I read because I got this from a reliable source that hasn't failed me.

By the way, I havn't seen you in a while balamm. What happened? On vacation or something?
    the server has to allow the cgi file to be executable, it won't work if you just create a folder.
    Robert00000

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by 99shassan@28 December 2003 - 12:00

Guess you just weren't looking for me in the right places.

I had a problem with some cgi scripts a while back, it seems the default location or absolute path assumes that you are locally hosting the site and that you have access to perl.

Ignore it, just change the path to cgi-bin in the same folder as the web page and it should run. Most hosts will have a function in the admin to check cgi and perl scripts.

If you find that an absolute path is needed, your host should be able to supply this to you.

What script are you trying to run? Maybe post the first few lines so we can see if it's valid or not.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    iShadowcat
    test

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    vapic