Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Thing Happening Iwth Speedfan

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    this is weird. i open speed fan and lower the rpm for speed 1(cpu) to 50, and my rpm goes to 42188rpm! i open my case, and the sound is quieter, but the rpm is that high?!?! ytf is this happening? not a bad thing, but just wondering. cuz it did help to lower my idle temps from 39 to 36. this is weird. now it's around 37

EDIT: now i put it back to 100%, and the temp is back to 36C. this is so weird

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Thats a false reading there is no way its going that fast. Speed fan told me mine were at 9 million RPMs one time..I dont trust that program very much lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yea. the noise level suddenly went down as i set it to 50%. weird

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I don't trust the rpm readings either.
    Just go by ear and temps.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Strange fan speed readings can be one of the drawbacks of pwm speed control.

It generally depends on the fan type. The chip counts the number of times the signal falls to zero. If there is no mechanism to keep the tacho signal high when the pwm signal goes low then the pwn signal will swamp the tacho signal.

A good fan will have a diode and capacitor in its construction in order to keep the supply to the tacho high, but the counters aren't very accurate in any case, because they have a divider on the number of ticks in a certain period, and are then multiplied up to give the rpm.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by lynx@29 December 2003 - 13:21
    Strange fan speed readings can be one of the drawbacks of pwm speed control.

It generally depends on the fan type. The chip counts the number of times the signal falls to zero. If there is no mechanism to keep the tacho signal high when the pwm signal goes low then the pwn signal will swamp the tacho signal.

A good fan will have a diode and capacitor in its construction in order to keep the supply to the tacho high, but the counters aren't very accurate in any case, because they have a divider on the number of ticks in a certain period, and are then multiplied up to give the rpm.
    well, can't expect too much out of a intel stock fan.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@29 December 2003 - 17:46
    well, can't expect too much out of intel.
    How true.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by lynx+29 December 2003 - 14:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 29 December 2003 - 14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-abu_has_the_power@29 December 2003 - 17:46
    well, can&#39;t expect too much out of intel.
    How true. [/b][/quote]
    lol. i meant the hsf. their processors are pretty good. well, with my windows open, and my cover off, i&#39;m getting 34C after playing 1hr of halo. how is that?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    another thing. rite now, my cpu is doing 34C but my mobo&#39;s at 37&#33; wtf&#33;?&#33;? i have the side cover off too&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    my computer is at that all the time abu.... mobo is hotter than cpu...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast