Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riaa - Can They Only Sue Americans?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but can the RIAA sue outside of the US? It is the Recording Industry Association of America, so I would think that they can only deal their damage there. If they can't sue other countries, then are there other Associations that would sue for example British filesharers?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Double Agent
    yes only america

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by PhloX@30 December 2003 - 11:25
    If they can't sue other countries, then are there other Associations that would sue for example British filesharers?
    no.not yet

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    They can go though your ISP for example AOL is actually American and will co-operate with copyright issues because of their status with warner brothers etc..

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by PhloX@30 December 2003 - 12:25
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but can the RIAA sue outside of the US? It is the Recording Industry Association of America, so I would think that they can only deal their damage there. If they can't sue other countries, then are there other Associations that would sue for example British filesharers?
    yes the riaa can only sue americans, but every country has there own organisation or organisations. for instance, here in britain I do have a sneaky suspicion that they are going to start clamping down on file sharers as well because they changed the digital copyright act in the uk, it now covers digital media over the internet, before it didn't. this only got changed a few months ago.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    the british counterpart for the riaa is the british phonographic industry (bpi), however, they say their current policy is education rather than prosecution
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@30 December 2003 - 19:47
    the british counterpart for the riaa is the british phonographic industry (bpi), however, they say their current policy is education rather than prosecution

I wonder who provided the Channel 5 movies late night on a Friday, although they were crap...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Lol, ok thanks for your answers guys. Good old UK "education rather than prosecution", I suppose that&#39;s one good factor for us, but then again, that could change. I&#39;m with BT (British Telecom) and not AOL so those bastads can&#39;t trade me in to them just yet&#33;

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I&#39;m English too, but I’m not worried about the money grabbing companies trying to take me to court, screw them.

They keep complaining about loss of money from people d/l songs and movies, well if they never charged so bloody much we wouldn’t have too d/l them. Just look how much money they have made from the lord of the rings, yeah it might of cost them a packet to make, but the first film alone made more money then some small countries.

Living in England we sometimes have to wait up to six months after they are released in the states, before we can see them over here, by which time you can buy them on DVD state side. So what do i do wait six months, pay £10 to watch some movie which is just complete crap (lets be honest most films today are) or d/l a DVD rip from the net??

If i like a film or song i have d/l then i will buy it anyway, i just get to preview them first.

mss666

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by mss666@1 January 2004 - 01:23
    I&#39;m English too, but I’m not worried about the money grabbing companies trying to take me to court, screw them.

They keep complaining about loss of money from people d/l songs and movies, well if they never charged so bloody much we wouldn’t have too d/l them. Just look how much money they have made from the lord of the rings, yeah it might of cost them a packet to make, but the first film alone made more money then some small countries.

Living in England we sometimes have to wait up to six months after they are released in the states, before we can see them over here, by which time you can buy them on DVD state side. So what do i do wait six months, pay £10 to watch some movie which is just complete crap (lets be honest most films today are) or d/l a DVD rip from the net??

If i like a film or song i have d/l then i will buy it anyway, i just get to preview them first.

mss666
    they dont care if you want to "preview" or not it&#39;s still illegal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast