Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Who Is An Amd Fan Should Read This.

Poster
    oh well, for the price of a p4 2.4 you can stil get a barton 3000+ so amd is still good in my book....unless they decide they want to raise the price next.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why does this come as any surprise?
    People have long known about the great OCability of AMDs and who would buy a XP3200+ when, for a third the price, you could get a Barton 2500/2600+ and clock it beyond the 3200's stock speed?
    Just look at our own small little HardwareWorld.
    Someone asks about a good chip and the automatic response is "Barton core 2500+".
    I can't remember ever seeing a recommendation for a Athlon 3200.
    Ever.

The guy they were interviewing was probably drawn and quartered by AMD's Public Relations dept. for not being cagier in his responses, but the underlying business thinking doesn't shock me at all.
    So the free ride is over...temporarily. As pointed out earlier, it's only a matter of time before some bright lad/lassie figures out how to circumvent the multiplier lock or AMD realizes that they may be shooting themselves in the foot and starts releasing "Special Edition" ( read: unlocked) versions of their chips.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Well put clocker, however I have seen some recomendations for an athlon 3200. lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@30 December 2003 - 23:15
    Well put clocker, however I have seen some recomendations for an athlon 3200. lol
    the 3200 is cheaper and comparable to the p4 3.2. the p4 does do better in some cases, but ocing is limited. the 3200 is over ocable just like the other amds, but not so sure anymore. but i might still get an amd if ocing is made available again

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+31 December 2003 - 00:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 31 December 2003 - 00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@30 December 2003 - 23:15
    the 3200 is cheaper and comparable to the p4 3.2. the p4 does do better in some cases, but ocing is limited. the 3200 is over ocable just like the other amds, but not so sure anymore. but i might still get an amd if ocing is made available again [/b][/quote]
    Just look around for unlocked 2500+&#39;s

Or 2100 B&#39;s, or 1700&#39;s, the really good ones.

All of the above can get up to nearly 2.4Ghz, on air. If you get the right stepping.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BANNED
    i wonder if my 1800 t-bred can go that far

btw... its 1.53 on stock.... so that would be over a gig of clocking....lol i dont think thats much possible unless u use the super liquid nitro cooling system

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    the 1700+ is 1.47Ghz I believe.

But its all in the chip.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    BANNED
    i should get extra cooling tho lol.... 34 for cpu on stock hsf is fine by me.... but if i wanna up it a lil...i should get something else..... either way, i would have to get another case, since this one isnt made up for modding (well at least it has mount holes for a rear case fan lol....)

w0ot

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    1. You stock HS/F will do fine for moderate OCing. I had my barton OCed 500Mhz at it was in the 50C&#39;s. I wanted lower, which is why I got the Volcano11+, but 50&#39;s C is perfectly fine.

2. know how you feel about the case, mine only has room for on in front, and one in back. Thats actually why I was looking at cases today on tigerdirect, and newegg.

Those cheiftec dragons do look very nice, great tower.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    BANNED
    yea im not sure about the fan in front cuz it doesnt have fins or anything.... its completely covered

check here

oh well.... my priority is a vid card not oc&#39;ing or cooling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast