Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adsl

Poster
    i just got back from france and a friend over there showed me his pc, and his internet connection witch was a 2.5 mb adsl connection i think all for 30 euro`s, what i was wondering is can we get anything like here for that price, but is adsl as good as broadband.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Knowledge is Power
    aDSL is broadband.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    He probably means adsl Vs Cable.

If thats what your asking, cable is faster.

1.5mb cable pisses over 1.5mb adsl

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    *Grunt*
    I think cable is cheaper because the technology is quite old, and not such a big deal anymore, also it reqires far less recouces to opperate than ADSL. The speed is probably because of brandwidth.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Lick My Lovepump
    The only real difference between cable and ADSL is that cable is shared over people in your area, so if they do more, you lose out.

ADSL is constant.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Originally posted by Mad Cat@31 December 2003 - 08:18
    The only real difference between cable and ADSL is that cable is shared over people in your area, so if they do more, you lose out.

ADSL is constant.
    Yes, this is true, However, I've never seen cable that wasn't fast all the time, My connection has never dropped, nor have I ever known anyone who's has a slow connection while using cable. I've heard horror stories around on the net about this, but in my experience, its stays constant.
    I have begun to believe that the horror stories are just being made up by the dsl companies to get more subscribers, and since in my area cable is 20 bucks cheaper a month than dsl, I think I'll be sticking with cable.
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    yer mad cat thats what he said, there are not a lot of people that use cable in france but it was bloody quick, but its so cheap 30 euro a month where i pay £30 for my 1mb connection rip off britain!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Lick My Lovepump
    I can't get cable, otherwise I'd probably be on a 2mb connection right now.

It really depends on your area, if there are 5 bandwith hogs all in your area you might notice that your cable gets slower, but if you are the only person thats using cable in your area, then you're fine.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    also with dsl, u have to be within a certain distance from the telephone exchange, whos your cable service with, my 512k blueyonder is £25 a month.

dsl is also shared at the exchange end, hence the connection ratio some companies give you. normal is about 20:1 or something

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    mad cat how much would that 2mb connection cost you and who is it with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast