Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Missing Codecs!

Poster
    ok I am a real beginner...I have teh k lite codecs and just downloaded divx (new one which BTW if I just download it is it ok? or should I put all those codecs under windows media player???)

Well this week none of the movie I download works...they have TEG or telesynch or smr added to them....none of them play with avi preview so I waited until they were finished and still they didnt play.... Am I missing codecs? should I do something differently>? or all those files are bad!?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TEG and SMR are release groups (people who put that movie on the internet)

telesynch means that the movie was recorded in a cinema with a (digital) camera. Meaning that the quality is not as good as when a DVD is used as a source.

When you install a codec or codec pack you do NOT have to install under Windows Media Player. Just install them in their default location. They are automatically registered on your system so that your players can use the codecs to play the files.

You can use the GSpot program that comes with the K-Lite codec pack to open up those files that you downloaded to see which codecs they need.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    thanks for teh clarification...but am I still missing codecs.... the files opens but nothings play no sound no picture just a black screen...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    You said you have the codec pack and divx both installed.......what about anymore than that? Sounds like you have one codec pack conflicting with another.
    Solution: Uninstall all codecs you have installed. Then install 220 full k-lite codec pack, this will be all you need for most movie playbacks. Next if you have'nt already install video-lan player and winamp 5.

Only do the above if all videos and movies will not play. If its only one file or two and others play this most likely wil not help-they may very well be fake files. Thats where g-spot will help like Error403 says.
    SMARTY SMARTY HAD A PARTY NOBODY CAME BUT SMARTY

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    Originally posted by hola@31 December 2003 - 14:26
    thanks for teh clarification...but am I still missing codecs.... the files opens but nothings play no sound no picture just a black screen...
    Tere are a lot of TEG files that are fakes...
    Use Videolan of AVIpreview to check the file

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Old Fella
    Really, the only 2 players you should need are videolan - from here, and BS Player from the KLite Codec Pack. When you install the Codec Pack just go with the defaults. Once you have installed Videolan add it to your tolls so you can use it to preview with (as an alternative to AVI preview - see HERE to learn how.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks everyone,
    I installed videolan and I can now preview most of the movies ( i guess the others are fake) but when I use video lan it often freezes.... and slows everything down(internet or any application) IS that normal? also I can't seem to be able to close it teh video screen stay there so I need to reboot computer to get rid of it and get back to normal speed with other application..any ideas why it does that?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Old Fella
    If Videolan is in full screen mode then right click on the screen and take off full screen mode.
    Most players will freeze at some point where there are errors on the file thats why I suggested both beacuse if you have problems witrh 1 then you can try it with the other.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I also have movies that won't play. I used GSpot and under the AUdio Section the indication is that there are no audio channels or information available. Does this mean the movie is a fake?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Most likely it is a fake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast