Thread: Dual Hardrives

Hey,
    i got to hard drives in my comp and i had to reformat, but it only reformated one hard drive but the other is still the same, when i start windows it will ask which os i want to use. How do i put them back together again?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Um...Im not really understanding what your asking..

Reformat both harddrives, install the O/S on one of them and start it up.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yeh but when i got the comp i would start it up and i would install everything on the C drive and the F drive was left free for when i ran out of space. But when i start it up it gives me a 30 second time limit and says which operating system?
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Home Edition
    the top one is the F drive but i cant acces the C drive when i go into that one, all the old stuff from the C drive is still on it but it doesnt work. But before i would just start up, it wouldnt ask me anythin and i could acces both drives. So what im asking is how can i put it so that one drive is empty and i can use when i run out of space and that they are joint together instead of being seperate OS's?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ummm I am assuming you actually have TWO harddrives, and not 2 partitions.

I would suggest reformating BOTH of them to where they are both completly blank. Then install the O/S on the C: drive, and it SHOULD work. Have you already tried this?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    nope havent tried that, but the only problem is that im goin to loose all my shit

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thats how it goes my man. On my friends system, he was able to just format one of them, and install the O/S and it all worked fine and he could access the other drive. What it sounds like is youve installed the O/S on both HDD...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Insert XP CD and then press "r" for "recovery Console" then in the prompt just type, "Fixboot" ....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Cygnuz-Y@2 January 2004 - 18:38
    Insert XP CD and then press "r" for "recovery Console" then in the prompt just type, "Fixboot" ....
    correcto! no need to format when u can solve a problem pretty easily....

btw cygnuz...msn

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    I think what happened was you intended to create a logical partition of the second drive, but instead you used the windows cd to created another primary partition and installed another windows os there. When using the windows CD you have to be very careful because it assumes you want to install the OS (again) and so gives options that lead to this effect.

If the recovery console doesnt do what you want, my advice is to install partition magic (WITH GREAT CAUTION ) and delete the partition you don't want (F and merge the free space back with C:, or you could create a logical partition, which you will have access to as if it were another drive.
    Robert00000