Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry But I Have To Ask

Poster
    hey guys, i constantly read stuff about OC an everything else, and also ppl who have better processors than me OCing them as well.

but my question is should i OC my Athlon XP 2000+? i play POP:Sands of time in 800x600 resolution, with all the effects turned off.
    im a keen gamer, i dont want to stuff up my processor so im not going to jump straight into OCin.

p.s my specs are below.

instead of posting links to the guides (that i have already read ), can u give me sum suggestions, downloadable software, or nething useful.

thanks and sorry for being an annoying OC question person

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    You can usually OC any processor btw, so OCing is always an option.

What I would suggest, first.

Downloading motherboard monitor 5. Google it and you will get the livewire site that has it. Then set it up to see what your temps are, get a feeling what what your normal stock temps are thus. Then, go into your bios, and up some settings here and there, see if you can up the multiplier, or the FSB, although you wont have much room with you PC2100 Ram. Test the new settings, see if windows is stable, see your new temps.

The coolbits utility will let you get a bit more out of your graphics card too, just google for coolbits and you will find all you need to know.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Has your warrenty ran out?

Are you desperate for more cpu speed?

Do you care if it damages your processer?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by dray_02@3 January 2004 - 08:38
    hey guys, i constantly read stuff about OC an everything else, and also ppl who have better processors than me OCing them as well.

but my question is should i OC my Athlon XP 2000+? i play POP:Sands of time in 800x600 resolution, with all the effects turned off.
    im a keen gamer, i dont want to stuff up my processor so im not going to jump straight into OCin.

p.s my specs are below.

instead of posting links to the guides (that i have already read ), can u give me sum suggestions, downloadable software, or nething useful.

I wouldnt bother. I have the same processor and OC'd it to slighly higher, but it became unstable when encoding movies with tmpgenc, it kept crashing.

I'm generally against OC because the benefits are negligable. there is a reason the manufacturers set their speeds slighly below the processor's max. capacity, thats to keep it stable.

However, some processors like one of the 1800+, which is in fact a 2600+, was locked at the lower speed, so AMD can save costs on manufacturing. These types of processors, if you can unlock them are worth buying as you get a more powerful processor for much less.
    Robert00000

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by dray_02@3 January 2004 - 08:38

p.s my specs are below.

instead of posting links to the guides (that i have already read  ), can u give me sum suggestions, downloadable software, or nething useful.

What motherboard do you have?

You won't be able to do anything to your RAM speed but your board may let you change the CPU FSB (external clock speed) to 166 without problems.

Download Motherboard Monitor and make sure your CPU temp doesn't get too near it's max operating temperature... which I believe is around 90 Celcius!
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Keikan@3 January 2004 - 13:19
    Has your warrenty ran out?

Are you desperate for more cpu speed?

Do you care if it damages your processer?
    nah my warrenty hasnt run out yet, i think i got like 4 years to go. lol.

im not that desperate but i do want improved performance..

and yes i care if i damage my processor.

What motherboard do you have?
    MS 6367 = crap

Download Motherboard Monitor and make sure your CPU temp doesn't get too near it's max operating temperature... which I believe is around 90 Celcius!
    k thanx, ill keep ya posted

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    After you get some temperature data to work with, you might want to run some benchmark programs to see where you currently stand.
    Run some proccessor intensive apps (Folding@Home is ideal for this) to test your cooling/stability solutions.
    Then pay a little visit to your BIOS and see what sort of OC options you have access to.

You may not end up clocking at all, but you'll learn some stuff about your machine at least.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    for that motherboard monitor,.... i dont think it scans my MS 6367. so i just put in MS 6337, (the closest thing to it).

its that alright? i currently have tempertures for my CPU and case.

-42 degrees for my CPU and 75 degrees for my case. does that sound right? i have no idea.

iv OC a little.

my default settings for the clock frequencies were

core - 250mHz
    memory - 332mHz

and that gave me a 3d01 benchmark of 4007

i used auto detect and it gave me:

core - 250mHz
    memory - 332mHz

and that gave me a 3d01 benchmark score of 4464

:helpsmile: ??

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    i don't oc but i saw that the 1800 can be oced to a 2200 i have an amd xp 1800 and wanted to know if its the same one because if so ill start reasearching

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by dray_02@3 January 2004 - 19:54
    for that motherboard monitor,.... i dont think it scans my MS 6367. so i just put in MS 6337, (the closest thing to it).

its that alright? i currently have tempertures for my CPU and case.

-42 degrees for my CPU and 75 degrees for my case. does that sound right? i have no idea.

iv OC a little.

my default settings for the clock frequencies were

core - 250mHz
    memory - 332mHz

and that gave me a 3d01 benchmark of 4007

i used auto detect and it gave me:

core - 250mHz
    memory - 332mHz

and that gave me a 3d01 benchmark score of 4464

:helpsmile: ??
    Okay, umm, with motherboard monitor, one thing, I think your doing wrong.

For the temperatues section, make sure you have the sensors reading Winbond 1, or whatever, because that should give you an actual reading.

That -42 you got, is beause you had it on a different sensor, which doesnt exactly exist, per say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast