Thread: Dvd Encoding Problems

Im currently converting divx films to dvdr format using nero 6 vision express, while it works fine most of the time it keeps telling me i dont have enough space on the disk, eg Enemy at the Gate, 700mb file runs for 2hrs 11 minutes and Nero claims its gonna end up as over 5GB!!! so get lost!!

This is plainly ridiculous I've got plenty of pirate dvd's that run longer than 2hrs 11 minutes.

Has anyone got any way to compress these films so they will fit on a dvd and still play on a set top dvd?

Any alternative software I could use?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    Its not lying about the 5 gig. That DVD has a capacity of something like 13 gigabytes. For instance, the files on "Neon Genesis Evangelion : End Of Evangelion" weigh in at 7.14Gb.

In order to burn the DVD, Nero has to prepare an image. That image cannot be compressed - it will be as big as the files would be on the dvd. Simple answer - Free up some disk space. 10gb free should be enough, but there'll still be some DVD's that need more before burning.

Failing that, burn your file as a VCD. THat'll use less disk space - but the quality wont be so great, and not all dvd players support them. Oh, and that 2hr film would probably need 3 cd's or something.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    sorry for the one-two here, guys.

The list below shows variations of DVD. SS/DS means single-/double-sided, SL/DL/ML means single-/dual-/mixed-layer (mixed means single layer on one side, double layer on the other side), gig means gigabytes, G means billions of bytes. For reference, a CD-ROM holds about 650 megabytes, which is 0.64 gigabytes or 0.68 billion bytes. See Call for Help's article on bits and bytes for more information.

DVD-5 (SS/SL): 4.38 gig (4.7G) of data, over 2 hours of video
    DVD-9 (SS/DL): 7.95 gig (8.5G), about 4 hours of video
    DVD-10 (DS/SL): 8.75 gig (9.4G), about 4.5 hours of video
    DVD-14 (DS/ML): 12.33 gig (13.24G), about 6.5 hours of video
    DVD-18 (DS/DL): 15.90 gig (17G), over 8 hours of video
    DVD-RAM (SS/SL): 2.40 gig (2.58G)
    DVD-RAM (DS/SL): 4.80 gig (5.16G)
    Taken from http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/products...2419968,00.html