Thread: A7n8x-x Sound Issues

Poster
    Well, looks like I need some help myself LOL

I've built my brother a system around the Asus A7N8X-X mobo with integrated Realtek AC97 sound, but the drivers from the CD don't enable the rear speaker outlets, even when the option is turned on.

I've spent over an hour downloading the latest drivers (22 bloody MB over AOL dialup&#33 and installing them fucks the sound altogether.
    Originally we had faders in the volume applet for front and rear outputs but after installing the duff Realtek drivers and then rolling back to the nVidia ones on the Asus CD they aren't there any more.

Has anyone here got any suggestions - no "go and get MSI/Epox/Gigashite" guys please
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Bump.

Personally, I haven't a clue.
    Sorry, Smurf.

I think that my Deluxe version uses the same onboard sound, but I use a Soundblaster Extigy card and never installed the Asus drivers. Right now I don't even have speakers to plug in and try ( a neighbor decided he needed my speaker setup a lot worse than I did... ).

Made me sad to see you drifting off the page with no response at all though.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Have you checked if Windows Update has drivers for it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Instead of rolling back the drivers, go into device manager and actually remove it.

I really hate how windows automatically installs the first drivers it can pick up

Also, their might be something in the Add/Remove programs thats stuffing it up.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    OK, thanx guys for help!

@ clocker: It's nice to know someone cares!
    The Deluxe version has Soundstorm, I think. Whatever it has, it's different to the -X model, which is a shame as the world and his wife have got "Surround On Your A7N8X Deluxe" sections in their FAQs.

@ vb1234: Heh, yeah - downloaded all available updates when I was building it here (with broadband & LAN) but it didn't show any.

@ Evil Gemini: I've tried both of those... first off I removed the only entry in Add/Remove then uninstalled the device mangler entry and installed the Realtek download. Lost sound altogether, so I removed them and re-installed the CD drivers.

I've got a Soltek NF2 board with Realtek sound as well. I checked what device mangler had down for mine and also found an nVidia listing. That made me wonder, so I got the latest drivers from Soltek (Realtek ones) and just installed with the setup - no uninstalling and Windows didn't complain in the slightest. I now have sound (only got sub+2sats so I haven't checked properly) as well as loadsa surround settings to play with.

Tonight I was at his house again (where I posted from earlier) and ran the setup from the downloaded drivers, to upgrade the way I had done mine... no sound again.
    Now I'm at home, I have poked around the Asus site a bit and come up with some earlier drivers... I wonder what would happen if I put those on.

Really, I could do with the machine here where I have time to look at it, but you know what people are like...
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I find with driver issuses, I like Udi [Unknow Device Identifer] Free program that fits on a floppy disk. It works a little like device detective it goes on line to find your drivers. It works with windows device manager all so. You could all so try Drivers. com its a pretty good site.

drivers. com User id drivers Password all