Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do People Put Underscores In Filenames ?

I would like to know why so many people put underscores in between each word in their filenames ?

Is there a good reason for it ?

Because it pisses me off as I have extra work to do to remove them or when making lists etc.

PS some people do the same only with dashes. I think dashes shoudl be kept for emphasing sapce between sections. Eg James Bond - View To A Kill.

Thanks

Digby
    What color is your Adkaf ?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I couldn't agree more. I guess it goes back to the days of DOS/Windows 3.1 when you weren't allowed to have spaces in your filenames. But now that a vast majority of PC users have Win95 or higher, I see no reason to use underscores or periods to seperate words. That annoys me too. I always change them to real titles.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    stupid thread

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    I would think its the same reason why KaZaa (mines 2.4.2) doesn't when you try and put a space in your user name,Nero is the same (5.5 up)if you name it just before cutting no space you have to underline.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    muchspl2
    I_use_them_when_my_space_bar_is_haxx0rd__instead_of_copy_and_pasting_a_space_or_&_#_32_;_

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    if you're really bothered about them, i'm sure you could remove the underscores or replace them with spaces using something like excel

just go to find & replace, find as "_" and replace as " "

problem solved
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    howaboutnotusingspacebaratallcozrightnowmyspacebarisfuckiedupandIcan'tusethefuckingthingohhwell...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Adster@11 January 2004 - 02:14
    howaboutnotusingspacebaratallcozrightnowmyspacebarisfuckiedupandIcan'tusethefuckingthingohhwell...
    you can use the on-screen keyboard (should be located under accesories from within windows, depending on your version)
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by cwctv@11 January 2004 - 03:00
    I would think its the same reason why KaZaa (mines 2.4.2) doesn't when you try and put a space in your user name,Nero is the same (5.5 up)if you name it just before cutting no space you have to underline.
    Could you please elaborate on that, I find your English a little hard to understand.

What do Kazaa and Nero do ?

Thanks

Digby
    What color is your Adkaf ?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    On many Linux/Unix servers (and older windows OS), spaces in filenames are not allowed. This is done to insure compatibility with any system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast