Thread: Question About Optimising Uploads

I have thousands of tunes I want to share, but a rather unimpressive upload speed.

Therefore: I'm trying to share as many files as possible so that I'm always uploading, but not so many that people have to queue interminably.

Is there any way of seeing how many people are in the upload queue so I can adjust the amount of files I'm sharing? Or do I just keep guessing blind? Cheers, hope this makes sense.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Autumn Fox's Avatar n00b
    Just keep guessing blind

However, recently i've decresed amout of my shared files (used Adobe Acrobat to do so...they were comic books) and the amout of MegaBytes uploaded by me incresed.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Old Fella
    Yu can't see what the queue is like, however what formate are they in (.wav or MP3). If wave files best thing to do is convert them to MP3 (use program like CDex) to minimise the size making uploads quicker (and freeing up space on your hard drive).

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Thanx Cyril didn't know about CDex

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Autumn Fox@5 January 2004 - 00:26
    Just keep guessing blind

I did suspect that this might be the case; thanks for the replies in any case, least I know where I stand.

Best way to judge that I know is to see whether people dling long tunes always go back into the queue after that 16384k, or if they manage to get the whole lot in one go.

It's just, you know, I get these mental images of folks on the other edge of the world, their faces lighting up in beautific smiles as they find some tune that only I'm sharing - but then trying to dl it and getting 'more sources', and cursing my name with every filthy swearword under the sun. Keeps me awake at night.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by ludd!te@4 January 2004 - 14:57
    Is there any way of seeing how many people are in the upload queue so I can adjust the amount of files I'm sharing?
    One thing you can do is set your uploads higher for a short bit to see how quickly they fill. (50 uploads is max.) If they fill in under a minute, probably every one of the uploads were people who were queued.

Make sure NOT to exceed the 100 connections at once limit of Win 9x/ME!

After you get a good feel for how many people are waiting while others are downloading, you can reduce your shared files.

If your ip is fixed/static and you&#39;re not firewalled, people will continue trying to download from you when you&#39;re not running KL++ or even online&#33; This can be obvious if the moment you log onto KL++ all your upload slots fill in <30 seconds... especially if more start than the max&#33;

The only way I know to reduce the numbers of requests (not HIDE them, which is all that unsharing some files do) is to set max uploads somewhat high, wait for them to all fill up, then turn sharing off. These uploads WILL continue till they complete or fail. Once many have ended, re-enable sharing, fill back up, and disable sharing again. New requests will not find your files unless they find you in the brief time you have sharing enabled, while older requests will be filled slowly-but-surely.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Cheers Switeck, this helps matters considerably. My queue doesn&#39;t seem to be too bad at the moment.

However, if I could beg your indulgence a little further: any idea how long the upload queue can get, that is, how many people have to be in the queue before any additional people trying to dl get &#39;more sources&#39; rather than &#39;remotely queued&#39;?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by ludd&#33;te@6 January 2004 - 07:52
    However, if I could beg your indulgence a little further: any idea how long the upload queue can get, that is, how many people have to be in the queue before any additional people trying to dl get &#39;more sources&#39; rather than &#39;remotely queued&#39;?
    For that, I do not know.
    It may be equal to or a multiple of your max uploads at once.
    It may be a fixed value of some unknown amount.
    It&#39;s PROBABLY low enough (like 50 or less) in any case for Win 9x/ME system.

I have heard about people getting 20+ uploads starting the moment they start KL++ -- this isn&#39;t due to queues but rather having LOTS of people (re-) trying to download from them. No doubt most end up seeing the &#39;more sources&#39; message... or worse still alternate between that and the &#39;remotely queued&#39; message -- possibly making them think the other end is acting like a hostile.