Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalling Windows

I am having trouble wiping my c:drive on my laptop. I want to reformat and reinstall windows, but windows wont let me reformat in the normal way, and I can't even do it from a command prompt. Any suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Did you try using a bootdisk, wiping it, then putting in the XP CD?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you are using a bootdisk (win98 or other {not an xp one, it doesnt have the format or fdisk commands on it}) then just type format C: and enter and it should format, or try typing fdisk and delete partition then create a new one and restart then format it.

Or

If you have a bootable windows xp cd. Make sure the laptop can boot from cd then restart with the cd in and it will go into the setup and just continue through it as usual but wwhen it asks where to install highlight the partition u want to install on and press d to delete it then c to create a new one using all available space then on the next page u can chose to format it, then the setup will continue

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I don't have a floppy drive, so I can't use a boot disk. My C: drive is not partitioned so it won't let me format it while windows is running. Is there any other way?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    ...Glass tubes all look alike from the inside.
    You can do a low level format from the bios, but be warned, doing so invalidates the warranty on the H.D.D.

However - You must be able to boot from CD if you can install windows. So, burn (or find) a bootable CD and use that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Go first and download the Win98 disc to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    do what the sites say's and put it on a floppy leave the floppy in then open Nero and choose burn bootdisc I would use a Cdrw so you don't waste a disc.
    Go into fdisk press 4 check your fat table if other than fat32/16 to get rid of the partition you will need to use nondos remove the partition and then put it back on, reboot - format now put the Xp cd in and away you go don't forget on reboot to go for "with cd drivers or whatever it says" cause when booting with a cd-rom it uses drive A but will still find D: if you tell it to.

Now a question to you is the laptop all you have can you get a bootdisc burned by someone else if you don't have one ?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Go first and download the Win98 disc to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    do what the sites say's and put it on a floppy leave the floppy in then open Nero and choose burn bootdisc I would use a Cdrw so you don't waste a disc.
    Go into fdisk press 4 check your fat table if other than fat32/16 to get rid of the partition you will need to use nondos remove the partition and then put it back on, reboot - format now put the Xp cd in and away you go don't forget on reboot to go for "with cd drivers or whatever it says" cause when booting with a cd-rom it uses drive A but will still find D: if you tell it to.

Now a question to you is the laptop all you have can you get a bootdisc burned by someone else if you don't have one ?

I think I understand. I need to get a boot disk floppy made on another computer and then burn that to a cd using nero (bootable data cd). then i can complete the process.

There is no way to do this without a floppy disc?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i said...

If you have a bootable windows xp cd. Make sure the laptop can boot from cd then restart with the cd in and it will go into the setup and just continue through it as usual but wwhen it asks where to install highlight the partition u want to install on and press d to delete it then c to create a new one using all available space then on the next page u can chose to format it, then the setup will continue.

that is how i instakll and have no problems at all on either of my computers so unless you cant get your computer to boot form the cd or you dont have a real windows disc this is what u should do.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    dont have a real windows disc
    That's sounding about right to me at this point.

So the answer to the question is NO if the XP you have isn't bootable plus you will need access to a cutter.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Listen to what ROSSCO_2004 said. That is exactly what I would have done it. It works with no sweat!
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast