Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Spoof Email

muchspl2
    I know most of you are smart enough to not fall for these, but here's the scoop all the same:

Heads up a new Microsoft spoof email is circulating on the Internet. I don’t have many details yet on the impact but I thought I’d give you a little warning that it was out there so you can advise your users.<span style='color:navy'>The email looks valid however if you take a close look at the link it’s obviously not a Microsoft address (</span><span style='font-family:Tahoma'>badkey.microsoft.com)</span><span style='color:navy'>. The text of the Email is included below. As I get more information on make sure that you’re in the loop.</span>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style='color:black'>Dear Registered Microsoft User, </span>

<span style='color:black'>Due to validation issues with your Product Key for your Windows OS Platform, we need you to validate your information so we can insure nobody else is using your product key. Each computer must have a unique Product Key, this problem usually happens if you install Windows twice on the same machine and use the same product key. </span>

<span style='color:black'>We need you to verify your information so we can send you a New Product Key VIA USPS. This also includes a information packet including ways to secure your Windows Platform from malicious hackers. Your reply is needed so you can continue to receive updates from Microsoft and always be up to date with the newest Service Packs. Please follow the directions below to complete the process. </span>

<span style='color:black'> 1. </span><span style='font-family:#39'><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:#0000ff'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Click here</span></span></span></span><span style='color:black'> to be redirected to Microsoft Secure Server </span>

<span style='color:black'> 2. Fill all the required fields and press "Continue". </span>

<span style='color:black'> 3. Insure your information is correct, then fill in the required fields and press "Submit". </span>

<span style='color:black'> 4. Please print the final page for future reference.</span>

<span style='color:black'> 5. Your done&#33; Your package is expected to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks. </span>

<span style='color:black'>Please do not reply to this e-mail confirmation. It was sent to you through an automated system that is not monitored. If you have additional questions, you can call Microsoft Customer Service Monday through Friday, 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. (Eastern Time), at (888) 218-5617 (toll-free in the United States). </span>

<span style='color:black'>Microsoft highly recommends that users with Internet access update their Microsoft software to protect against viruses and security vulnerabilities. The easiest way to do this is to visit the following website: </span><span style='font-family:#39'><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:#0000ff'><span style='font-family:Arial'>http://www.microsoft.com/protect</span></span></span></span>

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Luckily it doesn&#39;t seem to be working at the moment (when I clicked on that pretend Microsoft Secure Server link, just out of curiosity, It just came up saying "You are not authorised to view this page".)

3. Lounge   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984@6 January 2004 - 00:02
    Luckily it doesn&#39;t seem to be working at the moment (when I clicked on that pretend Microsoft Secure Server link, just out of curiosity, It just came up saying "You are not authorised to view this page".)

Curiousity killed the cat

4. Lounge   -   #4
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    lol, very obvious

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by danb@5 January 2004 - 23:03
    Curiousity killed the cat
    Watch out Gemby.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Lets hope there isn&#39;t a member called Curiousity then

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    oo death threats .. i should be scared...

but i cant be bothered

scared takes effort - i have little effort left
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by gemby&#33;@6 January 2004 - 00:11
    oo death threats .. i should be scared...

but i cant be bothered

scared takes effort - i have little effort left
    No threats

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    just talking about killing me then ...
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

10. Lounge   -   #10
    muchspl2
    i also tried to go into the site and I got:

res://C:WINDOWSSystem32shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif
    No está autorizado a ver esta página

Puede que no tenga permiso para ver este directorio o página con las credenciales proporcionadas.Si cree que debería poder ver esta página o directorio, intente ponerse en contacto con el sitio Web en cualquier dirección electrónica o número de teléfono que aparezca en la página principal de Homepage(); badkey.mircosoft.ch.

Puede hacer clic en [img ]res://C:WINDOWSSystem32shdoclc.dll/search.gif[/img]Búsqueda para buscar información en Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Prohibido
    Internet Explorer

guess its pwn3d by the spelling and grammer should give it away most of the time,

EDIT: guess it was my mistake to post this in the lounge, but just wanted the less technical peeps to understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast