Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Chemists Here? Know One?please Come On In!

SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Hello,

Some good news for the problem on AMD over clocking and how to get rid of the heat... OK as I stated at an earlier date (sometime last year ) I have started developing a silent Heat pipe cooling system that will cool all components in the computer so that there is no longer a need for fans at all... Now after all this time I am very close, at this point I only need too change liquids to make it more stable. Up to this point I have successfully tested a heat pipe system that uses no fans etc, and generates no noise. Its big flaw however was that the method of which a heat pipe works is that the hot water evaporates takes the heat with it, and dumps it off elsewhere... a very efficient method on paper, it has been hard to use effectively due to a lack of liquids with a boiling temperature that is optimal... (optimal being a variable that is different for every set up ) now the problem now that I have given some background is this, Before I have been using water in a decompressed atmosphere, causing the boiling point to lower this also does give the system some inherent difficulties which might be ok if one was never to unhook a hose ever... (the seals are that bad and every time one unhooks a hose they get looser) and so I have come to a crossroads, either use water, which has been having problems with part II of this experiment (described later) or choose to change to a chemical alternative that has a boiling point of about 20-30 degrees centigrade, will not freeze (or can be blended with things that can't) and can hold some heat.

Part II of the problem titled: playing with liquid nitrogen can be a health hazard...

Okay I have this wonderful system now with a chemical alternative that can evaporate when it gets "hot" and a nice flow, now something has to cool down all this vapor coming up the tubes... this is where my buddy liquid nitrogen comes in. I took a block of copper, (the machine shops mill can only handle copper or aluminum, it is not heavy duty enough... but then I have no complaints with copper) and machined some tube paths inside, then took stainless steel tubing (to help counteract the effects of liquid nitrogen. and fitted them together with a rubber seal to cover the gap between the blocks (much like the piece between the top part of an engine block and the bottom part, mainly to keep the real hard cold inside... make the cold have to migrate to the outside... ) this block was capped of with a pressure valve and to the bottom I hooked about 20 ram heat sinks that would add surface to the block... at this point I have made an incredibly cold (-20 centigrade) block of metal that stays cold always and made that the top of the tank/condensing chamber and that would be what would take 30 max centigrade liquids and turn them freezing in seconds... (The water would in test runs out of computer freeze... so I added a bit of antifreeze... it wasn't optimal, but it worked...) this was a dream come true, completely silent... extreme cooling... in the computer runs came out with temps as low as 3-10 degrees centigrade with over clock... (Idle and load) very nice overall... not bad looking... any need for fans...

Now I still have a problem, I need to get the max out of this system... I need to get a better liquid to put in the pipes. I have hit Google but haven’t found anything... I was hoping for a really good chemist was lying around... I would also like a somewhat more personal response than the WebPages give, although they are always helpful so send the links if you find them. Umm well I think that is it... I would include links but it isn’t that glamorous, just the results... it is completely metal construction help together with bolts and rubber grommets, with the exception of some tubing... but to give it any measurement at all would be hard... it cools the following components:
    CPU
    PSU
    Harddrive
    Northbridge
    Grapghics card
    And last but defiantly least!!
    Ram

hehehehehehehe

Okay well I have my success, the thing still weighs too much for you LAN game players... it weighs in at about 20 pounds no joke... one heavy bitch...

Okay then let the responses come in thanks guys!! Inspiration is easy too find in the place thanks!!
    Wow I bet that is the best thing I have ever written on this forum before; I dare you to find a misspelled word…

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    can't help with the chemicals but i would very much like to see this contraption or mabe invention

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hehe i might have to get a photoshute together... yes i think it does fall into the invention catagory?? who else thinks so??

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    if it works, you'll have to get a patent theres some shady charactors on this forum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    if it works, you'll have to get a patent theres some shady charactors on this forum
    true all described is PATENT PENDING!!!

hehehehe

btw does anyone know how that proccess works?? i may try to get this thing patented i think i really could...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    dude if it's good.... you'll get rich haha

yea i would call it invention....IF you pull the trick...since i've heard of at least 3 ppl else doing pretty much the same...yet falling in almost the same problem...

gl man

btw i dont think the chemistry i learned in high school would give you any aid at all

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    btw i dont think the chemistry i learned in high school would give you any aid at all 
    LOL don't worrie middle school hasn't helped me either!!??? (yes for all i am not above the age of 15 ) lol does that affect patents??!? age and all?? hmm... about the whether it works issue... i have a working PrOTOTYPE, it works very well and all. but it requires someone to be there to adjust it, and maintain a constant suction... where as a commercial one would have to be self sustained (that and the fact that wate has freezing issues... even though the coneact is brief... it gets cold...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    SciMan,
    I don't know what fluid may be more effective, but are you using a wick like Zalman does?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Originally posted by SciManAl@5 January 2004 - 20:01
    LOL don't worrie middle school hasn't helped me either!!??? (yes for all i am not above the age of 15 ) lol does that affect patents??!? age and all?? hmm... about the whether it works issue... i have a working PrOTOTYPE, it works very well and all. but it requires someone to be there to adjust it, and maintain a constant suction... where as a commercial one would have to be self sustained (that and the fact that wate has freezing issues... even though the coneact is brief... it gets cold...
    patents hmmm.....good one....unless you name is MicroZoft i dont think it should be a problem

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    wow holy shit guys that may work!!! i don't use a "wick" WOW i might try that now!! THANKS CLOCKER!!! i would almost kiss you but then i remeber that you are a man lol :x hehehehehe this shpuld solve the problems let me work it out some... on paper, then a prototype...

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast