Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Screwed Up Big

Poster
    Ok, I installed XP Pro tonight...I did a clean install after formating my C drive which contained WinME. All was well till I had no ability to activate XP Professional. So, I decided to format and use the XP Corp edition.

Somewhere along the lines I figured to install a patched version of XP, see I have 8 in 1. All was fine, till a .bat file was missing or corrupt. I said sh*t and wanted to reformat and start clean with Corp.

OK, then the real bad stuff came for me. The day sucked, tell you later. A lowlight was that I had jury duty and my brother forgot to leave my car keys behind, so I had to take a $45 cab ride, just to have the selection get cancelled and then my computer crashed in ME so I just decided to throw in XP because the crash was major.

Oh well, anyway to make it worse, I put in my WinME Startup disk and that fu*ked up all hopes of formatting my C drive. Now I get an error where DOS says "Error loading OS". I went to make startup disks for XP Pro, but it was too late.

I am at a point where all I have is DOS in there and can't format the drive. I already removed the partition where NTFS was. What do I need to do to get my HDD to be 100% formatted so that my XP CD get recognized like earlier today so I can do a clean install of XP? Please help and don't worry, I will read, just have to sleep for a while...Thanks guys.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    geprobert's Avatar Poster
    You could go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the image for a Win98 bootdisk. After booting with it, you should be able to use Fdisk and Format (on the disk) to sort it out. There is also a new version of Fdisk on the site, for massive HDD's.

Sorry if I misunderstood and I've not been of any help! Good luck!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Dude i only had to install XP Pro 1 time, here's what i did, i was using Windows ME , i had a boot disk of course, so i formatted away the evil windoze ME, then i booted off of the Xp pro cd and installed it ,
    i dont know how many versions of windows you have, but but you need to make up your mind on which to install. Upgrading an OS is got to be one of the easiest things a preson can do in computers.
    I have Linux and XP pro on a dual boot, so if you think what your doing is hard well it aint .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Upgrading an OS is got to be one of the easiest things a preson can do in computers.
    I have Linux and XP pro on a dual boot, so if you think what your doing is hard well it aint .
    Let me explain something man, the upgrade was fine. You obviosly don't know what I am saying at all. I accidentaly put in the wrong startup disk and that fu*ked things up. I get an error now that says error starting operating system as a result of my mistake. If you don't have any constructive input to share, stay the fu*k out of my threads.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    erm, if you have a Win ME startup disk, shouldn't that allow you to start up DOS from the diskette? then reformat the c drive. but that didn't work you say. hmm.

well, the downloaded win xp did you create a CD or what? if you did you should be able to boot from the CD, and do a reinstall from it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    imported_computerfreak76
    keep us informed mobboss

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by mobboss01@20 February 2003 - 09:15
    Upgrading an OS is got to be one of the easiest things a preson can do in computers.
    Let me explain something man, the upgrade was fine. You obviosly don't know what I am saying at all. I accidentaly put in the wrong startup disk and that fu*ked things up. I get an error now that says error starting operating system as a result of my mistake. If you don't have any constructive input to share, stay the fu*k out of my threads.
    No need to insult someone who is trying to help you. How is he supposed to know exactly what your problem is when all you did rant your frustration. Don't take it out on him that you were the idiot who screwed up your computer. When you're knee deep in sh*t and need help, the least you can do is be nice.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I just reformatted and did a clean install of XP yesterday. The XP disc I have isn't a bootable one but you can go to the Microshaft website and download the XP start up program. It's 1 file which you write to 6 floppy's and is basically just start up discs.

Once I did that the installation went fine.

Here's the link for the program -
    XP Start Up Discs

And another good source of Info -
    Good Advice

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    You can always plug your HD into another pc and format it there.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    njs12345's Avatar Poster
    inside your head, and you can't get me out, mwahahaha
    I had that problem a while back with Error Starting OS or sumthin like that. I think it means that there is something wrong with your Master Boot Record. I fixed it with XP home by going into the recovery console and telling it to 'fixmbr' and that fixed my problem. I don't know whether it'll fix yours tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast