Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partioning : Software Reccomendations

Hi guys. I am getting a new laptop tommorrow and was wondering what the best software to partition it is? I have parttioned my home computer using the windows start up disk and then going into dos. Would it be best to to do this then install windows or install windows then partiton the hard drive using partitioning software?

Any Reccomendations??

Many Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by leonarmston@6 January 2004 - 01:12
    Hi guys. I am getting a new laptop tommorrow and was wondering what the best software to partition it is? I have parttioned my home computer using the windows start up disk and then going into dos. Would it be best to to do this then install windows or install windows then partiton the hard drive using partitioning software?

Any Reccomendations??

Many Thanks
    Do you intend to create other partitions? if so, use Partition Magic 8.
    Robert00000

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yeh intend to create other partitions, was just wondering whether to partition it before i install windows or after using partitioning software?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    doesnt really matter whether before or after.
    whatever you prefer.
    I use acronis partition expert - easy fast and simple.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    Originally posted by leonarmston@5 January 2004 - 18:40
    yeh intend to create other partitions, was just wondering whether to partition it before i install windows or after using partitioning software?
    its safer to do it before....

my computer crashed twice when i tried to make partitions using partition magic

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by DWk+6 January 2004 - 01:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 6 January 2004 - 01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston@5 January 2004 - 18:40
    its safer to do it before....

my computer crashed twice when i tried to make partitions using partition magic [/b][/quote]
    Partition Magic is quite tricky to use because its not perfect, i had so many problems with it when i first tried it out.

If you are going to use it you need to know its weaknesses. You need to understand your hard drive better than it does . First decide how many partitions you want and what type (primary or logical). Once you have settled on what you want go and create it, and DON&#39;T mess around changing the boundries too much, otherwise you might cross the cylinder boundary and screw up your system .

Partitioning software should be used with caution, because it makes major changes to your system.
    Robert00000

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BANNED
    actually i used partition magic successfully about 4 times...but the other 2 were in a row... so i prefer to partition from xp installation now....

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by DWk@5 January 2004 - 17:54
    my computer crashed twice when i tried to make partitions using partition magic
    join the club
    @ rob - so you open for a PM tutorial if re-install this feckin pm8?
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    my computer crashed twice when i tried to make partitions using partition magic&nbsp;
    Thats why i ended up using
    acronis partition expert - easy fast and simple.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sorry but this might be a dumb question...but other than seperating your drives....what purpose does partitioning your hd do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast