Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virus's

Just done a quick search for Deamon Tools and found a copy no problem, but half way through my download Norton stopped it and deleted it saying it had a worm virus. The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
    I then clicked on another copy only for the same thing to happen.
    This has happened many times.

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don't people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus's but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    muchspl2
    because they know n00bs (like you) try to get programs from kazaa that are freely available from the makers website, who else would try to download freewear from a p2p

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 16:54
    The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
    Did you try to message any of them that they were (unknowningly) sharing viruses?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    From my experience alot of people dont wish to use any anti virus software due to the fact that they have been told the myth that it slows ur system down substantially. instead they prefer to reformat if they do get hit with a reall bad virus. as they do not know that they got any viruses on they pc, and if you do tell them they usually shrugg they shoulders with the response "So?"

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    internet.news
    Originally posted by chris_lyon82@6 January 2004 - 22:54
    Just done a quick search for Deamon Tools and found a copy no problem, but half way through my download Norton stopped it and deleted it saying it had a worm virus. The thing is well over 200 people had a copy of this file and none of them would of known that there computer is infected.
    I then clicked on another copy only for the same thing to happen.
    This has happened many times.

Theres loads of free virus software out there, why don't people use them?

P2P networks do spread virus's but if everyone had some form of protection there would be a great deal less of them out there
    Ok, first let me tell you that not everyone - I use it and currently getting NAV 2004 - use it unfortunately.

Second what I want to tell you is that I am thinking there might be following
    reasons for Virus-Files:

+ People who don't use sort of tool like Norton or McAfee...
    + Some great Music Companies flooded Fasttrack or tried to do so, with
    Fake Files so probably as well Viruses?
    + Some kind of ppl (e.g. hackers) trying to spread out viruses...

+ ... maybe you find further reasons...

Although these reasons maybe true, I still try to inform people that they have
    a virus...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Originally posted by Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 21:59
    From my experience alot of people dont wish to use any anti virus software due to the fact that they have been told the myth that it slows ur system down substantially. instead they prefer to reformat if they do get hit with a reall bad virus. as they do not know that they got any viruses on they pc, and if you do tell them they usually shrugg they shoulders with the response "So?"
    Couldn't have said this better myself. It seems that they don't have a care in the world, so I love hearing stories of people who have had their PC's infected by viruses. I'd turn around and say "Surely you were running an AV?" and they'd be like "What the hell is that!?". Cue my laughter as I look at how anyone so stupid could even learn how to switch the damn machine on in the first place.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Duracell Plus+++@6 January 2004 - 17:59
    I don't run antivirus software on a regular basis and only run an AV scanner maybe once a month. However, I have detected viruses by the sounds the hard drive was making and by using a hex editor. (hint: if you see the word "virus" somewhere in the file, it probably is... )

I have little faith in AV software being able to keep up with viruses that now take only DAYS (or even HOURS) to blanket the internet.

I am still occassionally hit by a virus, but the handful of viruses I've seen OFTEN were so new that AV software wasn't able to detect them anyway. I've even gotten one from an auto-infecting website.

In short, a good software FIREWALL (properly configured of course&#33 has become a better AV tool than constantly-scanning AV software. A hardware firewall (such as one in a router) will do too, and it's much easier to configure. B)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Well, would you rather... get A REAL AV program rather than REFORMATING ALL YOUR FILES THAT you have in your computer?

Id rather choose get an A REAL AV.
    It never slows down my comp only if you do a FULL SYSTEM SCAN.

GET AN AV!!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    yeh.
    I wish those bastards would quit.

I got a pretty bad case of psoriasis from FastTrack once

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    i hate viruses and these are the people that feed them, there like chains and we need more split links like us. i scan every folder i download and the lot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast