Thread: Best Amount Of People To Share With?

dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    How many channels should I open to get a film out there as quick as poss? I'm trying to share rotk cos not many people have got it.

ps, what is the downside of opening too many channels?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Well it all depends on the speed of your connection.

The usual way is to set your upload bandwidth to 80% of your maximum.

The downside of opening too many channels is that your bandwidth will be too thinly spread among each upload, and also it could slow down your own downloads.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Most (good) broadband connections only have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) TOTAL max upload bandwidth.

Naturally, not all of that can be used for uploading files in KL++ -- and KL++ doesn't consider the overhead costs of sending files out when you set its limits! To send out 20 KB/sec actual data might take a total of 22 KB/sec total upload bandwidth and about 0.5 KB/sec download bandwidth as well!

It's simplest to use KL++'s configuration wizard and try to find the closest upload bandwidth match to your connection. For this purpose, Cable internet and DSL internet can be considered equal at the same speed unless your DSL connection shares its bandwidth as needed as upload or download.

At ~25 KB/sec useable upload speed in KL++, even 5 max uploads at once would mean the average speed PER upload would be 5 KB/sec or less. This may sound 'too low' for sharing 300+ MB files, but setting the value too low would mean a couple slow downloaders tie up your connection while many others remain waiting. Setting it too high (like 20+) would mean each upload goes less than 1 KB/sec, disconnects a lot, and experiences high packet losses -- which forces resends of the same data, compounding the amount of bandwidth needed to send the SAME amount of data out!

Kazaa/KL++ DOESN'T support sharing partial files -- BitTorrent (at Supernova) is currently the best distribution method for large files.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Cheers for that, I had set it to 5 uploads cos I thought that would be a decent upload speed for a hard to get film, think I'll leave it as it is then.