Thread: Is It Really Safe To Download

I haven't posted a topic in awhile been a little busy, but I'm back to bitch and moan agian. The best news I heard lately was the ruling in the Verizon case, that's been the best news since the whole Napster mess. Is it really safe to head back to the p2p networks, yes and no. We all know the problems that exist right now, leaches, viruses, hackers (technically called crackers). Then they added the stress of getting sued on top of that. The real question is that burden really lifted, yes leagally, but no in the long run. Who knows what the RIAA (Those bastards) have up their seleave. I know they will find a new route to go and attack the mp3 industry. I have no problem with the RIAA, but when you start messing with my privacy, their no better than Hitler. Maybe we should call them the SS Heil HITLER, thats ok I'm over all that since they lost in a court of law. I know they say that we are hurting all the people that work for the record companies. I think the reverse they are hurting them, if would compramise with the public their sales might go up. Their the ones taking food off the table, looking what the CEO's are making. sure they have more responsibility, but they could take a little cut. To anwser my question (I know your thinking finally) I say be free download, change the new statistic that file sharing is down.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    You were NEVER safe. However, with the latest legal ruling you are safer than you were 6 months ago... if you haven't already been found.

Just use KL++ with block RIAA ips on, don't allow listing of your shared files, and run KL++ on a different ip port than 1214.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    [QUOTE]
    True that you were nevYou were NEVER safe. However, with the latest legal ruling you are safer than you were 6 months ago... if you haven't already been found.[QUOTE]

True you were never safe I'm glad to see you figured out my point though.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    One more thing -- DON'T share 1,000's of MP3 files.

Even if the RIAA wasn't after anyone, the sheer upload demand you can get from sharing that many files can overload almost any connection.

Were anyone able to list all your shared files, then your connection WOULD become crippled (and KL++ might even crash or freeze for a bit&#33 whenever someone actually TRIES to list your 1,000+ shared files.

If you are on a fixed ip address and not firewalled, then you may even want to alternate sharing on/off while making sure most of your upload slots are filled. Then you will still be uploading even while nobody else can find your files in searches. When some/most of the uploads finish, turn sharing back on briefly to allow them to fill again.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Switeck@9 January 2004 - 18:48
    One more thing -- DON'T share 1,000's of MP3 files.

Even if the RIAA wasn't after anyone, the sheer upload demand you can get from sharing that many files can overload almost any connection.

Were anyone able to list all your shared files, then your connection WOULD become crippled (and KL++ might even crash or freeze for a bit&#33 whenever someone actually TRIES to list your 1,000+ shared files.

If you are on a fixed ip address and not firewalled, then you may even want to alternate sharing on/off while making sure most of your upload slots are filled. Then you will still be uploading even while nobody else can find your files in searches. When some/most of the uploads finish, turn sharing back on briefly to allow them to fill again.
    No offence, but you expect someone to just sit there all day and do that alternate thing?!

I have never even tried disabling it, so I'm not 100% sure what would happen, but I'd imagine that if you disabled it while someone was uploading, their download would get cancelled?

Because in the past when I have had 3 upload channels open, I close one (if I thought that the bandwidth was getting too thinly spread, and so it would be better to have 2 instead of 3), and the 3rd upload will automatically get cancelled.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparkle1984+9 January 2004 - 15:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 &#064; 9 January 2004 - 15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@9 January 2004 - 18:48
    No offence, but you expect someone to just sit there all day and do that alternate thing?&#33;

I have never even tried disabling it, so I&#39;m not 100% sure what would happen, but I&#39;d imagine that if you disabled it while someone was uploading, their download would get cancelled?

Because in the past when I have had 3 upload channels open, I close one (if I thought that the bandwidth was getting too thinly spread, and so it would be better to have 2 instead of 3), and the 3rd upload will automatically get cancelled.[/b][/quote]
    No I don&#39;t expect someone to sit there alternating it.

But it is THE ONLY WAY (that I know of) to get out of a Kazaa/KL++ induced DDoS attack because you were sharing lots of popular files.

If you&#39;ve ever ran a connection monitoring program (even Microsoft&#39;s built-in NETSTAT -n) while running KL++ with lots of downloads, uploads, and searching... then you&#39;ve seen what a busy connection looks like. It may well have 20-100 TCP/ip connections, not counting the many UDP messages being sent to your computer. But when you&#39;re being &#39;hit&#39; by too many requests to download from you (your uploads), that number may spike into the 1,000&#39;s.

If you share a lot of files (basically everything you download) on a fixed ip connection that isn&#39;t firewalled, this can happen even within a couple days&#33;

Changing the number of max uploads causes the current number of uploads to reduce to that value within a second or 2. The most recently started uploads tend to be the first dropped. But turning off sharing will allow uploads to continue till they finish a file chunk (typically up to 8 MB) or fail.