Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Harvesting ?

Hi all, after installing Kazaa lite K++ 2.4.3 everything works as it should but a file ~ was left on my desktop (Win2000)
    Opening this file with notepad revealed some email addresses, so I renamed a copy of it with a WAB extension and on double cliking on it, it opened OE address book with a complete listing of all email adresses on my PC. So at some stage the install copied my addresbook to the desktop but to what perpose? I can only guess that an atempt to harvest email address has been made, but by Whom? I'm sure we are all very trusting of the developers of kazzalite but should we be? or is this an as yet undocumented feature of KMD?
    Any one else had this experience?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    it depends on where you downloaded it from

did you d/l it from a link within the forum

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I can't remember where I DL it (before Xmas) but the file is klitekpp243e.exe 3366186 bytes with a date 03/12/2003 11:53:02 am

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by sp250@8 January 2004 - 18:33
    Hi all, after installing Kazaa lite K++ 2.4.3 everything works as it should but a file ~ was left on my desktop (Win2000)
    Opening this file with notepad revealed some email addresses, so I renamed a copy of it with a WAB extension and on double cliking on it, it opened OE address book with a complete listing of all email adresses on my PC.
    The timing may have just been coincidence.

You probably have an email harvestor TROJAN on your computer and should get very recent, very good antivirus software ASAP.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by sp250@8 January 2004 - 17:33

Yes, I have seen the same "~" file on the desktop. It's not a trojan, it's a bug in a patch for outlook express.
    Windows makes a backup copy of your address book, but misnames it and puts it in the wrong place.

In my OS (xp home) the address book and backup are at C:\doucments and settings\username\application data\microsoft\address book.

The address book is the file default.wab and the backup is default.wa~. In some operating systems I think it is username.wab and username.wa~

That ~ copy is the newest backup, so if you want, you can delete the old backup, move it to the proper folder and rename it.

More information.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thanks for the info Jg427!

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by Switeck+9 January 2004 - 15:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck &#064; 9 January 2004 - 15:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>You probably have an email harvestor TROJAN on your computer and should get very recent, very good antivirus software ASAP.[/b]
    Originally posted by Jg427@9 January 2004 - 16:30
    <!--QuoteBegin-sp250
    @8 January 2004 - 17:33

Yes, I have seen the same "~" file on the desktop. It&#39;s not a trojan, it&#39;s a bug in a patch for outlook express.
    Windows makes a backup copy of your address book, but misnames it and puts it in the wrong place.
    [/quote]Wow, boy was I wrong...

It wasn&#39;t a trojan, unless Outlook Express is thought of as one.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Switeck@10 January 2004 - 18:44

It wasn&#39;t a trojan, unless Outlook Express is thought of as one.
    Or windows...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Mr. Blunt's Avatar n00b
    Originally posted by Jg427+9 January 2004 - 13:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jg427 @ 9 January 2004 - 13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sp250@8 January 2004 - 17:33

Yes, I have seen the same "~" file on the desktop. It&#39;s not a trojan, it&#39;s a bug in a patch for outlook express.

In my OS (xp home) the address book and backup are at C:&#092;doucments and settings&#092;username&#092;application data&#092;microsoft&#092;address book.

The address book is the file default.wab and the backup is default.wa~. In some operating systems I think it is username.wab and username.wa~

That ~ copy is the newest backup, so if you want, you can delete the old backup, move it to the proper folder and rename it.

More information. [/b][/quote]
    Ah thanks for that info. I have gotten that "~" file on my desktop too. I didn&#39;t bother to try opening it. I just simply deleted it. Thanks again.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Your welcome, glad I could help.

The first time I saw that mystey file, I opened it with notepad and was suprised to see e-mail addresses. I searched for a while before I found any information.

Jg427

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast