Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Nt Or 98se

is windows nt or 98se or 95 better. i have these three and have never tried nt, what do you guys think? i just use that computer for an emulator and music.
    thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    98se...

stay away from 95 if you have 98se....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    NT isn't good, why do you not like 95? any big reasons? i'm just wondering, i'm not gonna use 95

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    actually i would use nt only for networks....well i dont like nt anyways...

and i didnt say i didnt like 95.... thats where it all started!

but you see....you asked to choose from 3....so i chose - btw i run xp and nothing else

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    alright, thanks. i have xp pro but that computer is a p1 200 with 32mb ram and 7gb HD so the most i can run is windows ME. NT might not even work.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i wouldnt be botehred with 95 as too many files are outdated and u have to add on so many things to get it to work witht eh internet and networks and stuff and it froze a lot on my friends computer when he had it and i hated usigng his computer.

98se has most of the updated files, just run windowsupdate and its all uptodate, ive never used nt so i cant say anything bad about it but i do like that it has the nice task manager like in xp and 2000, and supports ntfs, that is about all i know about that os.

i like 2000 because ive never had problems with it on my older computer with freezing or any compatibility problems, but my favorite os at the moment is windows xp, i love the look and it NEVER FREEZES on this system anyway...u need a pretty good system to run it without problems...atleast 256mb ram and a decent processor but ram is most important.

good luck in choosing!

EDIT: i forgot about me, i hate it... i ran it on my old system for a while until i got my current one and it would always freeze on me im not sure why i was told it was because i didnt have anough ram (96mb at the time) but form then on i used 2000 until i got my new computer then installed xp

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    what is ntfs? just wondering.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@8 January 2004 - 19:18
    what is ntfs? just wondering.
    a filesystem...

fat
    fat32
    and ntfs are all file systems that are used to store data on the hard drive... they are basically the way that data stored on the hard drive is organized and stuff (sorry i dont know the exact definition of it)

fat was used in dos and all other os (well not all but the windows ones) until later in windows 95, and some of 98, then fat32 was used. In nt\2000\xp u can use ntfs which is more secure and reliable than fat32, and adds more security feaures which are available in xp (mayeb the others dont remember) like encrypting data.

btw, u cant format ntfs form dos u need to use fdisk or another partitioning program.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i just remembered i have 98 and 98se, is there a difference. when i use f-disk is it better to partition c drive and use fat 16 i think or use the whole thing running fat 32 and a small drive.
    would my good computer with win xp home use fat 32? isn't there a HD limit for fat 32? i have a 120 gbd drive?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    umm oh yeah i frogot for fat32 i think there is a limit of 32gb unless u partition it then it can be up to 2 terabytes i think which is a lot of space...

if u install windows 98 do the se version its more well supported at teh moment (more programs will run on it) and it is more stable imo. Oh and for sure use fat32 if ur gonna install windws 98 and just partition the drive if u have too.

If u install windows xp home or pro or whatever then u can use ntfs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast