Thread: Problem With Downloading Ever Since I Got A Router

I got a D-Link 514 router a week ago, and I've had nothing but problems. First, I had red x's showing up, much less sources showing up, and downloads often failing or going at 2kb. So I went to the D-Link support site and used their guide to get Kazaa working:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod...54%20/%20DI-764

So I did all that, and all my problems still existed. I downloaded KaNat and still, few sources show up, and my download speeds are horrible and often downloads never start. I plugged in my DSL modem directly into the computer and everything was fine again. Any tips on how to get Kazaa working?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    You will need to open and forward ports to your pc... Not sure what they are off the top of my head, but look around and im sure youll find something helpful!

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I believe I opened the ports 1214 TCP as the guide told me that I linked to, but I'm not quite sure if that's the same as forwarding or if I did forward them or not. I'll search around the forums for D-Link now to see if anyone else has my router, or if anyone else has one please reply here

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Firstly, for BEST performance using a router with KL++...
    DO NOT USE ip port 1214 for KL++ AND DO NOT USE the 192.168.0.x address space for your LAN!

Use a 'random' ip port in KL++ somewhere in the 2000-65535 range (might want to check to see if anything else MIGHT use it online) and port-forward that ip port at your router to your computer.

To change your LAN's ip, you have to change it on the router and possibly every computer as well. If you leave it to the default 192.168.0.x values, then you will be "DoS attacked" by a bug in Kazaa/KL++ which tries to directly connect to LAN ip addresses if the same range as your (LAN) ip addres range instead of trying to translate or drop LAN ip addresses.

Then get the latest version of KaNAT and have it use ASM mode to autoreplace the LAN ip with the WAN ip every 10 seconds or quicker.

KaNAT can be a real cpu hog if you're experiencing lots of KL++ made connections per second. (Like lots of downloads with lots of sources or lots of invisible upload requests.)

Even when you're not using KaNAT your connection will be better than MOST routers.

After doing all this, your connection should NOT be firewalled from KL++'s point of view and you should NOT see red X's in KL++ searches.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Thank you very much for the thorough answer, I will check out everything you said.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    If you change the IP of your LAN does it matter what you use for the address? For instance, could I use 1.2.3.4 as a valid entry?

Thanks for the info

EDIT: After a little more research, I answered my own question. From what I understand, any set of numbers will work for the new LAN IP but KaNat won't function correctly unless the new LAN IP is one of the following:

192.168.x.x
    172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
    10.x.x.x
    169.254.x.x

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by wacomcduff@10 January 2004 - 14:17
    After a little more research, I answered my own question. From what I understand, any set of numbers will work for the new LAN IP but KaNat won't function correctly unless the new LAN IP is one of the following:

192.168.x.x
    172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
    10.x.x.x
    169.254.x.x
    Correct, and I tend to forget entirely about the 169.254.x.x range -- as 'nobody' seems to use it.

The reason why using 192.168.x.x (especially 192.168.0.x) is so bad is because that's the DEFAULT setting of almost every consumer router and some commercial routers as well. On Kazaa/KL++ that means you'll see LOTS of those ips in your download DATs if you use K-Dat on them. If your computer is on the same LAN ip range as that, it'll try to contact those ips directly instead of trying to go through their supernodes to get their REAL internet (WAN) ip. With enough unfinished downloads and enough sources on each, your computer could potentially crash not only itself but other computers on the network.