Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amd And Intel

STAY AWAY FROM THE Elitegroup K7S5A [B] !!!!
    I have this board and its INFAMOUS for requiring a HUGE PSU. It wont run athlons at 266 bus/proper cpu fequency unless you have a hefty PSU. Many owners of this board have the same problem. Your better off spending a little more $$ for a reliable board that wont require a Antec 450-500 watt PSU. Buy if u have a 500 watt psu, then this board will work fine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Ex-member
    [b] STAY AWAY FROM THE Elitegroup K7S5A !!!!
    I have this board and its INFAMOUS for requiring a HUGE PSU. It wont run athlons at 266 bus/proper cpu fequency unless you have a hefty PSU.
    I built one of my teachers an Athlon XP-based computer with the K7S5A in a case with a 300-watt PSU and it works fine.

You should always go for an AMD-approved PSU and case... I got that one for £30, so they're not too expensive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    WtF!!! AMD can process more better, but AMD Costs more than Intel P4 for a slower speed, doesnt it???

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Yep AMD is more expensive, 2.0 Intel P4 = 190, a Athlon™ XP 2400+ 2.0GHz Processor is 300.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Ex-member
    Clock speed is NOT the way to measure the performance of a CPU.

Athlon XPs are more efficient than P4s so they can do more in the same number of clock cycles.

The model numbers of Athlon XPs serve as a (rough) guide to the equivalent P4's clock rate.
    So an Athlon XP 1700+ will be very close to a P4 1.7 GHz.
    Similarly, a new Athlon XP 3000+ will perform a little less impressively than a P4 3.06 GHz.

Although you can measure small differences using benchmarks, the differences between P4s and similarly-rated Athlon XPs are not noticeable.

Therefore, the Athlon XP offers better value for money. Examples from my supplier:
    Athlon XP 2000+: £66........P4 2.0 GHz: £135
    Athlon XP 2400+: £113......P4 2.4 GHz: £165

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Ex-member
    Just looked at your prices, Monkey...

You're getting conned on the AMD front - look for another supplier.

And I hope that's dollars or euros you're talking about.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Vinkhuizen, Groningen, Nederland (the Netherlands)
    personaly i prefer amd because its cheaper and isn't much wurs than intel (accept when you're a overclocker) tho i had a amd and i had trouble with xp (restarts all the time) so i took a intel celeron and no more trouble... that is... xp doesn''t have dos and i'm a dos programmer and xp sux to much ram... and xp is ugly and stuff... i prefer 98 se and prefer linux even more... but with linux there is also a lot of trouble with things...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Ex-member
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the budget CPUs... the AMD Duron kicks the Intel Celeron's ass in just about every department!

The best thing is that the Duron uses the same socket as an Athlon XP, so you don't need a new mainboard if you decide to upgrade to a better CPU.
    Celerons use different a socket type from the P4, so you need a new mainboard to go from Celeron to P4.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Poster
    Vinkhuizen, Groningen, Nederland (the Netherlands)
    well.. i'm getting a whole new system anyway... i didn't say intel celeron is good but i have better results with xp with celeron

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by abraham1812@1 March 2003 - 00:22
    [b] STAY AWAY FROM THE Elitegroup K7S5A !!!!
    I have this board and its INFAMOUS for requiring a HUGE PSU. It wont run athlons at 266 bus/proper cpu fequency unless you have a hefty PSU.
    Normally I'd but this down to bad/cheap DDR. I'm running my E7s5a off a 350W generic PSU .

K7s5a
    1800XP
    512 crucial DDR
    nvidia GeForce 4
    2 x 120 gigs IBM deskstar

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast