Thread: Second Hard Drive

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I'm getting ready to install another hard drive. I'm wondering if its possible to have 98SE on my C drive, XP on my F drive, then make changes in my C-mos whenever I want to start up in the different OS? For instance, startup on HDD1 or startup on HDD2? Hope I'm clear enough about what I really mean.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i know you can load both. If you install xp first, then you can use nt loader. If 98 is already on you 1st hd, then there are boot programs that can list the two oses for you to boot from. There are some guides on the net about how to do all this, so check them out first.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    If you add a second hard drive, the letter will be 'D', and your CD drive letters will change. If you get 'Partition Magic', you can use it to automatically change all your shortcuts and registry entries to reflect the new letters. As for the OS, I know XP allows you to dual boot, but I think it has to be on you primary drive, and 98 on your secondary. I'm not positive about that, though.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Yes you can do that, i have two drives & i do it on a regular basis. I did'nt have a CD-RW so all my software was stored an another drive which i keep unplugged to try & keep it virus free. Be warned tho that 98 does not read ntfs formatted disks. So if you install XP on a ntfs drive & boot from 98 it will not see XP.