Thread: Wuts The Difference

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    x box runs at 700mhz, my comp runs at 700mhz

so why the hell cant i play games that look like the ones on xbox????????????????

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lol, if only it were that simple...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i got all nite.....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'll take a quick guess...

Your PC has to run a huge operating system that has to do a lot of different stuff. All the Xbox has to do is play games and nothing else. The kernel is probably alot smaller.

edit: there are also probably loads more processes running on a PC compared to an Xbox.

You'd also have to compare the graphics capabilities, amount of RAM and Bus speeds to make a fair comparison.

It also depends on what kind of CPU the Xbox has and how much cache it has, front side bus etc.

Clock speed is only a small part of the puzzle.

edit: This is all educated guesswork, I really dont know much about the Xbox

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ok then

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    what games are you trying to play?

whats your gfx card?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Xbox is built from parts that are essentially identical to PC parts-- but the difference is in the design, the firmware, the software, streamlining, and the strict standardization of the physical components. Xbox would be a PC, except it's been designed and locked down to perform just a few tasks-- playing games, music, and dvds.

every Xbox is nearly identical to every other Xbox, so the game designers have a single hardware model to aim at, for compatibility. Xbox is technically inferior to a modern PC in some ways, so that's sort of limiting to game companies in what they're able to do with it-- but on the other hand the uniformity of components allows them to fine tune the game to run on one single model, rather than having to guess at what video cards and CPUs the players might own. a console game is like a tailor-made suit... as opposed to a PC game that's been designed to hopefully run on your machine and quite a few other configurations, sort of like buying a suit off-the-rack which might sort of fit you or several other guys who are of similar size.

and there is also the fact that (being a console, not a PC) Xbox uses an operating system that is shaved down to only the bare essentials required to run games and CDs/DVDs. it doesn't include all the other features of a desktop PC because it isn't supposed to be used as a PC-- it does a couple of things, and that's all it does, but it does them more efficiently than a PC (which is ready to do a million different things, even if the user is not actually going to use the PC to do all of those things). Xbox is an unusual console in that it even has something as large and complex as an operating system, since most consoles up till now have only used a ROM or a BIOS (a pretty minimal bit of data that the games use to access the components directly).

i'm sure some people would disagree, but i think that even though Xbox looks like a PC on paper, it simply is not one. not to suggest that one is better... the two platforms have different games and different types of games so, you know, whatever makes ya happy...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@11 January 2004 - 11:32
    Xbox is built from parts that are essentially identical to PC parts-- but the difference is in the design, the firmware, the software, streamlining, and the strict standardization of the physical components. Xbox would be a PC, except it's been designed and locked down to perform just a few tasks-- playing games, music, and dvds.

every Xbox is nearly identical to every other Xbox, so the game designers have a single hardware model to aim at, for compatibility. Xbox is technically inferior to a modern PC in some ways, so that's sort of limiting to game companies in what they're able to do with it-- but on the other hand the uniformity of components allows them to fine tune the game to run on one single model, rather than having to guess at what video cards and CPUs the players might own. a console game is like a tailor-made suit... as opposed to a PC game that's been designed to hopefully run on your machine and quite a few other configurations, sort of like buying a suit off-the-rack which might sort of fit you or several other guys who are of similar size.

and there is also the fact that (being a console, not a PC) Xbox uses an operating system that is shaved down to only the bare essentials required to run games and CDs/DVDs. it doesn't include all the other features of a desktop PC because it isn't supposed to be used as a PC-- it does a couple of things, and that's all it does, but it does them more efficiently than a PC (which is ready to do a million different things, even if the user is not actually going to use the PC to do all of those things). Xbox is an unusual console in that it even has something as large and complex as an operating system, since most consoles up till now have only used a ROM or a BIOS (a pretty minimal bit of data that the games use to access the components directly).

i'm sure some people would disagree, but i think that even though Xbox looks like a PC on paper, it simply is not one. not to suggest that one is better... the two platforms have different games and different types of games so, you know, whatever makes ya happy...
    lol gud job!

END OF TOPIC/THREAD B)

My Blog
    I'm still here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    Not so much - you can put a different (bigger) hard drive into an XBOX. This kinda tells you its not much of a console - if you open an XBOX it IS a computer inside. The only thing that is different is the Operative System.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    this is very true, even the PS2 is capble of running linux... the thing is that to make it run faster and more effiecent they took things out of the console game "OS" to make it smalled... it is possible to use an Xbox with keyboard to use an OS, but to go the other way would mean you would have to make a version of the Xbox OS that would run on your PC and limit in the same ways that it limits your xbox... if you want to play however games for xbox on your comp, a possible option are Emulaters... other than that unless you are an expert programmer you are out of luck...