Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compress Your Temp Folder

if you are tired of partial emule downloads taking up a full 700 MB space on your HDD even when the file is 3% just compress the contents of your temp folder. you have to have XP and an NTSF file structure to do this. on my 60 GB HDD i have 27 GB in my compressed temp folder. this 27 GB would normally take up 110 GB.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    What the hell are you downloading all the time then?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    yeah, this is a good trick for those who didn't previously know

it may take some time to compress a large temp folder on a slow computer though, so be patient

and you'll have to exit emule to compress the temp files, of course
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I really don't understand the practice, myself.
    It's gonna be that size when it's done...so what's the difference?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Sparsely@11 January 2004 - 00:07
    I really don't understand the practice, myself.
    It's gonna be that size when it's done...so what's the difference?
    well, like miner says, he/she can have 110GB worth of temp files on a 60GB drive

then he/she can just back up the finished downloads whilst the others download
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    On a different forum, some guy listed the compression thingy as a method of getting faster downloads. I tried to ask him what the mechanics behind this was, as I could see no connection between those two. I didn't really get an answer, just that "Hey, it works for me"...
    Can any one confirm this claim?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Well I compressed mt temp folder..and it didnt gain me much space back..
    it doesnt speed up my downloads either,
    but i have seen this tip mentioned at the emule forum

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    how do you compress a folder?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    First, u need to be using XP and u need to have chosen the NTSF structure when formatting ur HD.

If so, right click on the folder u've designated as the temp folder for eMule and select Properties. In the Properties box click on Advanced. Check the 'compress contents to save disc space" box and click OK. Click Apply in the Properties box and ur puter will take it from there.

Depending on the size of ur temp folder and what other apps ur running, the compression may take some time. U can tell its complete when all the files in the folder r lettered blue rather than black.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jarmann@15 January 2004 - 03:57
    On a different forum, some guy listed the compression thingy as a method of getting faster downloads. I tried to ask him what the mechanics behind this was, as I could see no connection between those two. I didn't really get an answer, just that "Hey, it works for me"...
    Can any one confirm this claim?
    I don't see how this person could see a link between compressing temp files and increasing download speed. What he probably meant was that with some downloads, there is a compression during the transfer (i.e. emule will compress bitmap files) so this will speed up the download.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast