Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure Of A Component.

Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Yes, I think a power surge protector is a good investment, especially if you have valuable (business or otherwise) data on your pc.

I find the thought of all my months of hard work being wiped out in a flash very scary, even though i often (not regugarly) back up my important data.

Most of us take the reliability of our PC's for granted until we get a bad experience like that guy whose PC Lynx fixed.

I'll be off to the computer fair tomorrow to buy a surge protector, there is one being held locally .
    Robert00000

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Robert00000@10 January 2004 - 21:38
    I'll be off to the computer fair tomorrow to buy a surge protector, there is one being held locally .
    There's a little fair near me at Crystal Palace tomorrow that I would normally be going to but the wife quit her job in the week so that's out.

I really can't believe there are people not using surge protectors for their computers - I have one here for the computer & periphs, and another with two phone chargers, a lamp and my rechargeable electric razor in it!
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    btw, have you checked the wiring in this person's house?
    you can get an outlet tester @ Radio Shack or whatever for like 5$.
    It just has some LEDs to show if everything's done right.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    GCNaddict's Avatar Poster
    i got a surge thru the coaxial cable on my cable internet, and it blew the cable modem, the mobo, and the DVD burner. the HDDs, and my 9800xt survived tho

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by Smurfette+10 January 2004 - 21:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 10 January 2004 - 21:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000@10 January 2004 - 21:38
    I&#39;ll be off to the computer fair tomorrow to buy a surge protector, there is one being held locally&nbsp; .
    There&#39;s a little fair near me at Crystal Palace tomorrow that I would normally be going to but the wife quit her job in the week so that&#39;s out.

I really can&#39;t believe there are people not using surge protectors for their computers - I have one here for the computer & periphs, and another with two phone chargers, a lamp and my rechargeable electric razor in it&#33; [/b][/quote]
    ive got surge protection built into my extension lead, very handy and gives me a bit of security

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    What&#39;s your worst colateral damage? = I tried installing a new CD Burner in my old eMachines and just about fried everything in the damned box. When I turned it on, it wouldn&#39;t recognize almost anything. It said I had no videocard, no soundcard, and if you tried to plug anything into the USB ports, it wouldn&#39;t recognize it. Now I am scared out of my mind about installing hardware into my new computer.....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by RGX@11 January 2004 - 00:49
    ive got surge protection built into my extension lead, very handy and gives me a bit of security
    I&#39;ve got one of those too. Cuts out the possibility of a surge hitting your comp via an unprotected piece of equipment.

I&#39;ll recommend they get one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    The worst thing I have every seen happen... god i tremble thinking about all that monay all those lawns mkowed at &#036;5 per lawn... this tale takes place 1.5 years ago...

It was a awsome computer... my first test rig... Dual 3.0 gigahertz new for the time... P4 or more commenly called P&#036; for phunking expensive... Abit Mobo... the water cooling tube exploded and the whole computer was sealled closed (server comps arecomenly that way...) and it filled up, with 3 inches of water before it exploded... it exploded... steam came out... and over 10k of stolen computer equipment died that day... (wtf you thought i would mow all those lawns for a comp... i payed for the mouse and keyboard... )

a terrible thing...i think i shoul;d really be condemned to hell for the happenings of that day...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by SciManAl@11 January 2004 - 13:10
    over 10k of stolen computer equipment died that day...
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    LOL hehehehehehehe well ya know this IS Kazaalite forums... a program that helps thieves steal digital property... hehehehehe what would you expect??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast