Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tcpoptimizer

  1. #1
    Well, I wanted to know what all the fuss is about and used the TCPOptimizer...
    I have an ADSL 768/128 connection and couldn't believe my eyes after some extensive testing:
    Before: 707 (average, did about 10 tests)
    After: 980 (again, this is an average from 10 tests). The filesize of the testfile was 1,5 MB, but still I find it difficult to believe that this can be right?
    Any good explanation for this?

    BTW - should this have been posted in softwareworld? Or even hardwareworld?

  2. ** REGISTER to REMOVE This Ad On The Site!! **
    Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
  3. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Ex-member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,529
    TCPOptimiser works well on some connections, less well on others...

    looks like you got lucky.

    Explanation: Microsoft's default TCP settings are crud.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yeah, looks like it - will try to see if that can be a constant speed with larger files.
    The thing is, I'm running Linux as well, and a friend of mine optimized it until I got a max 800 k, but 980...
    Well, maybe I shouldn't think about it too much and just enjoy it.
    Thanks

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have used several optimizers so far and none of them have changed my speed a bit! I'm on a 256k\128k DSL line and I get about 220k.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Your Moms House,Texas
    Posts
    200
    All of these programs work well but you can mod it further in the registry.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Yes, they are analyzing your settings on the site I downloaded the program from and give more suggestions for values you could try.

    These are my current settings:

    TCP options string = 020405a00103030201010402

    MTU = 1480
    MTU is optimized for Windows XP PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

    MSS = 1440
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1440, which equals MSS.
    MSS is optimized for Windows XP PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for maximum throughput.

    Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 255552
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 63888
    For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    506880 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    253440 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    126720 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    63360 (MSS x 44)

    bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 10222.08 kbps (1277.76 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 4088.832 kbps (511.104 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

    Time to live left = 57 hops
    TTL value is ok.

    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

    IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000

    I might fiddle around a bit more, but as I said, I'm still pretty stunned about the initial results.
    If anyone hasn't tried it yet, this is the url:

    Speedguide

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •