Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet Performance!

Poster
    All of a sudden my internet performance is running so damn slow...I checked on pcpitstop on what might be causing this and it tells me something about my ping.....I get a red alert telling me there is a serious problem with the ping

Ping Latency
    The round-trip ping time, or latency, of your connection is 562 ms. This is higher than the 150 ms latency we expect for your type of connection under ideal conditions. High latency can cause your upload speed to be lower than your download speed, and can interfere with Internet gaming. If you find that your latency is consistently high, you may want to discuss the matter with your ISP. There are no software fixes or settings that can improve latency

Subsystem Status Description
    System Intel Celeron, 1200MHz
    Memory 256MB RAM
    Disk Drives C, D
    Video NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Internet MSIE 6.0
    Windows Windows XP SP1

Your Score:

I tried out every tip they gave me but still nothing..

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    any suggestions what to do?..seems like the only solution is to reinstall windows xp

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Poster
    Are you using a router or connected to a network?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Poster
    router

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    What about spyware, trojan etc...maybe that is sucking up some of your net causing slow pings...

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Poster
    what speed is your service rated at? (upload and download) and do you have any programs running which would consume bandwidth (e.g. kazaa, bittorent...)?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Poster
    what speed is your service rated at? (upload and download) and do you have any programs running which would consume bandwidth (e.g. kazaa, bittorent...)?
    I just took the test again and this is what I got
    Bandwidth Down Unknown 992 Kbits/sec
    Bandwidth Up Unknown 286 Kbits/sec
    Ping Latency 150 170 milliseconds
    Receive Buffer Size --- 64240 bytes

nope...no programs are running in the background...and I have ad aware that gets rid of all spyware

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by far@11 January 2004 - 02:18
    I just took the test again and this is what I got
    Bandwidth Down Unknown 992 Kbits/sec
    Bandwidth Up Unknown 286 Kbits/sec
    Ping Latency 150 170 milliseconds
    Receive Buffer Size --- 64240 bytes

nope...no programs are running in the background...and I have ad aware that gets rid of all spyware
    so now the test is fine?

your ping seems ok
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    Poster
    The majority of comps that i have fixed due to slow internet were due mainly to spyware, trojans etc but some where because of backdoors and a group of ppl useing the comp for file distrabution atleast do a "netstat -an" at the command promt with nothing on the net eg browser everything closed and see what ports are open just incase

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Poster
    atleast do a "netstat -an" at the command promt with nothing on the net eg browser everything closed and see what ports are open just incase
    not sure how to do that..mind explaining it to me?...yea..the ping is not so bad now...but its still pretty low for my connection...this is the highest it got

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast