Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do People Put Underscores In Filenames ?

imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@11 January 2004 - 12:45
    On many Linux/Unix servers (and older windows OS), spaces in filenames are not allowed. This is done to insure compatibility with any system.
    and i think this is very important

not everybody uses win95 or higher

cu uncle_cracker

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi@11 January 2004 - 06:45
    On many Linux/Unix servers (and older windows OS), spaces in filenames are not allowed. This is done to insure compatibility with any system.
    Yep, when I first started building web pages I used geoshities and they DO NOT allow spaces (%20) in file names, not sure exactly why some servers don't allow it, for some strange reason a space in between a file name on my server = %20 , anyone know why?

I put the space in the file name to see if would work,. http://nemo.yahoo-help.com/ne%20mo.jpg .

Something I just thought of,... if you where to type the link above with a space on this forum, instaid of the %20 it would look like this " http://nemo.yahoo-help.com/ne mo.jpg ", that being a broken link, I guess that would be a good reason for under scores and dashes but, if you copy and paste " http://nemo.yahoo-help.com/ne mo.jpg " into your browser it should put the %20 for you automatically.

I need to stop, I am getting confused now

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    it also happens on nero when people have not used the "file name length" option correctly and not using the correct iso standard (dos or ascii) then it adds the old dos uderscore for you .

but lets face it until there is a standard get ready for even more naming variations from those with older operating systems or who are just lazy

yes everybody might not be using newer systems but hinting at that or saying linux does not understand them without the underscore is a LIE

i have a mixed environment network and i have NEVER had problems naming the files correctly or been lazy enuff to imply that i am not able to do it because i use a slightly different operating system

if you use the systems correctly and apply common sense in updating there is no problems unless you are telling me that a p2 mmx or cyrix or whatever other crap you use can handle broadband/high speed/downloading but cannot name a file correctly because of the software/o.s

is it me or did there used to be a decent knowledge base on here that has eroded away almost to nothing with just a handful of the old "intelligent crew" left
    now it seems that anyone can go ahead and type stuff even if it is painfully incorrect

and as for servers not recognising spaces and needing underscores "yeh right if we are all using redhat v1 and miami vice is a new programme and reagan is in the white house".

right that should have ruffled some feathers. NEXT

oh and instead of answering this anymore would one of the mods move it to the lounge at least where we can continue if idiots want to.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Jesus Christ, why are some people being so angry and rude?! You act like you own this God Damn forum! The man asked a question and some of us are trying to come up with a decent answer. It's called a discussion. If you can't take part in it in a mature and civilized manner, then don't reply AT ALL! I swear to God I wish the mods would go through and just start weeding out some of the assholes so this can get back to being a decent forum again.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    Originally posted by digmen1@11 January 2004 - 02:20
    Because it pisses me off as I have extra work to do to remove them or when making lists etc.
    poor baby

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by Nexus UK@11 January 2004 - 18:37
    if you use the systems correctly and apply common sense in updating there is no problems unless you are telling me that a p2 mmx or cyrix or whatever other crap you use can handle broadband/high speed/downloading but cannot name a file correctly because of the software/o.s     
    OK, Mr. pissed-off Nexus UK... go ahead and tell this forum how to put spaces on a FAT system (not FAT32) . Feel free to use your "intelligent crew." BTW, did someone kill your pet recently? Don't have a cow, man; It's just a forum.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    imported_uncle_cracker
    Originally posted by Darth Sushi+12 January 2004 - 01:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi &#064; 12 January 2004 - 01:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Nexus UK@11 January 2004 - 18:37
    OK, Mr. pissed-off Nexus UK... go ahead and tell this forum how to put spaces on a FAT system (not FAT32) . Feel free to use your "intelligent crew." BTW, did someone kill your pet recently? Don&#39;t have a cow, man; It&#39;s just a forum.[/b][/quote]

yes ... we&#39;re all waiting

and btw:
    maybe i do not use spaces in filenames cause of remembering these days
    and because sometimes i shared files with some friends of mine ... so i give the url to them ... and spaces in url are NOT allowed.

maybe you uses iexplorer, ok it changes the space to %20, but not all browsers do that.

put an image on your website, put a space in its filename and view it with different browsers

congratulation

SO DO NOT USE SPACES IN FILENAMES

and if you do not believe me, here is a quote from rfc1738 uniform resource locators (url):

"Characters can be unsafe for a number of reasons. The space character
    is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and insignificant
    spaces may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or typeset or
    subjected to the treatment of word-processing programs. The characters
    "<" and ">" are unsafe because they are used as the delimiters around
    URLs in free text; the quote mark (""") is used to delimit URLs in some
    systems. The character "#" is unsafe and should always be encoded
    because it is used in World Wide Web and in other systems to delimit a
    URL from a fragment/anchor identifier that might follow it. The
    character "%" is unsafe because it is used for encodings of other
    characters. Other characters are unsafe because gateways and other
    transport agents are known to sometimes modify such characters. These
    characters are "{", "}", "|", "&#092;", "^", "~", "[", "]", and "`".

All unsafe characters must always be encoded within a URL. For example, the character "#" must be encoded within URLs even in systems that do
    not normally deal with fragment or anchor identifiers, so that if the
    URL is copied into another system that does use them, it will not be
    necessary to change the URL encoding."

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/cgi-bin/rfc/rfc1738.html

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    DO YOU EVER READ THE SUBJECT B4 ANSWERING

this is not about Freakin %% signs or just how smart you can be.

this is about the fact that he asked why MOVIES are not named correctly.

now why not tell me the people that can use a FAT (NOT 32 SMART ASS) to rip a movie or even convert it . let alone have the power to play it properly.

as you two seem to be so smart why don&#39;t you go and be pedantic in every forum or until then at least have a point b4 boring me to death.

meanwhile why not go outside and complain how people use 747&#39;s to fly and not your old wright brothers plane.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Originally posted by Nexus UK@12 January 2004 - 16:24

this is not about Freakin %% signs or just how smart you can be.

now why not tell me the people that can use a FAT (NOT 32 SMART ASS) to rip a movie or even convert it . let alone have the power to play it properly.

as you two seem to be so smart why don&#39;t you go and be pedantic in every forum or until then at least have a point b4 boring me to death.

meanwhile why not go outside and complain how people use 747&#39;s to fly and not your old wright brothers plane.
    well not quite sure if you&#39;re rigt, he asked why a filename was spelled like
    Lord_Of_The_Rings.avi instead of Lord of The Rings.avi.

I&#39;m afraid the people you replied to did answer that question
    And yes, that&#39;s where the % comes in...
    Please next time try to be a little more constructive in your reply, cause maybe you mean something else but i can&#39;t read that well between the flaming?

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    imported_uncle_cracker
    certainly yes
    a moviefile can be part of an url - and then it is NOT correctly named with spaces
    meanwhile why not go outside and complain how people use 747&#39;s to fly and not your old wright brothers plane
    cause there is no need to do that - they both fly.

i only want to give an answer to the question and mentioned ONE reason, why people like me do NOT use spaces in filenames.

and you said that it is correct anyway - BUT YOU ARE WRONG

so what is your problem?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast