Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Usa And It's Influence.

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by leftism@11 January 2004 - 06:03

Was there any need for you to start a really interesting thread in the early hours of the morning?
    erm it's evening here... don't make us have to explain the rotation of the earth and time differences..you must realise we are in America and therefore behind you (did i say the usa was behind the times and living in the past ??? :"> )

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Have I shown huge offense, I just called "bullshit"

People criticise my government for things their government would do, if they could.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    hey hobbes are you trying to see what the board would look like with your name on the end of each topic

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by hobbes+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Have I shown huge offense, I just called "bullshit"
    [/b]

Bullshit? So does that mean you dont think US foriegn policy has anything to do with 9/11?

<!--QuoteBegin-hobbes

People criticise my government for things their government would do, if they could. [/quote]

So what? They would criticise their own government too if they did the same stuff. Theres nothing hypocritical or inconsistent about it.

Its almost as if your saying that because our Gvts would probably be just as bad if they had the power, we shouldnt criticise yours.

I dont see the logic behind that, the citizens arent the government.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    The attacks I have seen have been personal. "Stupid Americans" heads the list. The problem I have is that you are directing these statement at all of us, when, in fact, the contingent that supports this is very small.

This thread has nothing to do with 9/11, nobody with a brain would argue that our foreign policies would not create enemies.

I am commenting on the fact that the people who tend to blast the US are more interested in their impotence than a unique agenda or quality of American politics.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by hobbes+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>This thread has nothing to do with 9/11, nobody with a brain would argue that our foreign policies would not create enemies[/b]

9/11 was an example I used to illustrate a point about what happens when you discuss such matters with some Americans. You didnt clarify what your "bullshit" comment was aimed at so I had to ask. What was it aimed at btw?

Originally posted by hobbes@
    I am commenting on the fact that the people who tend to blast the US are more interested in their impotence than a unique agenda or quality of American politics.
    I disagree, I think that many people who criticise you actually care about what goes on in the world. Its easy to focus on the fools in the same way that I could easily focus on the gung-ho Americans who like to watch videos of Iraqis beinng killed. But that doesnt show the situation in a balanced light and would be quite unfair.

I&#39;ve noticed you&#39;ve used the word impotent many times in this thread. I honestly think your more concerned with your Gvts power than those who criticise you are.

Its not the major motivation behind the criticism, its what your Gvt does with the power which motivates it.

<!--QuoteBegin-hobbes

The attacks I have seen have been personal. "Stupid Americans" heads the list. The problem I have is that you are directing these statement at all of us, when, in fact, the contingent that supports this is very small. [/quote]

If the whole purpose of this thread is to focus purely on the obnoxious 13 year olds you get on all forums I&#39;m a little disappointed. We dont have a monoploy on them any more than you do

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Originally posted by leftism@11 January 2004 - 08:07

I disagree, I think that many people who criticise you actually care about what goes on in the world.

Good point, but I rarely take offense when such criticism is conveyed in a contructive manner.&nbsp; These critical posts are often embedded with cheap shots and written in an inflammatory manner.&nbsp; Sometimes how you say something is as important as what you say. When I read a post by Biggles, I can tell he is honesty interested in an exchange of ideas, not in a flame war.

I&#39;ve noticed you&#39;ve used the word impotent many times in this thread. I honestly think your more concerned with your Gvts power than those who criticise you are.

No

Its not the major motivation behind the criticism, its what your Gvt does with the power which motivates it.

Well, we can&#39;t please everyone.&nbsp; Your government would probably do something similar to ours if it could and the matching need was there.&nbsp; But I can appreciate your point to some degree, with this WMD fiasco in Iraq being one example and, as I stated in another thread, why we are still dependent on oil, at all, being another.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    You said alot alot of correct things in your first post
    and yes i would like to thank the US for all the great things it has done and will do in the future.......

Its just a little bit difficult to ignore the USA when its
    contstantly on TV, radio, newspapers, and for dinner.

And so since this is an international (western) forum - guess what we all have in common?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Its magic baby!
    i think its scarey that american ideals are based on teh land of hope and glory and that the root of american society is money. i think american setlers treatment of native americans was appauling. i think that alot of the worlds ill come from the idea that money is priority and that capatalism is a effective and unbias means of world organisation. i think that america is rightfully blamed for alot of things because with the influence they hold and teh money thier economy can flash the have a a great deal of power of poorer countries.

however i dont think only america is to blame i think that most of europe has a very big part in the worlds problems, colonialisation has caused nmany problems in the world today. i think that world religion has caused the greatest number of problems in the world.

but in reality it is not the religion or the counrty or the governing body that is to blame it is the people who misuses thier power for their own selfish purposes.
    Wiz.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Double Agent
    another nationlism debat eh?

i gotta give these dudes some credits eh? spending all day discussing important issues around them.

me? i do nothing all day but studying medicine, so one day i could use the skillz i&#39;ve acquired to help ppl, not kill them.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast