Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: File Naming Standards For The Sharing Community

really neat idea, if you could get the few million users on kazaa to agree 
    That's the idea, but not just kazaa users, all of them. It's got to start somewhere.

I keep em organized, pretty much the way you posted,
    except my apps are 'title - author' or just title most cases
    mp3's, 'artist - song'
    makes my files a hell of a lot easier to navigate 
    Great! glad to hear it. The problem is "pretty much" though. Most people do name files in a similar way but it can be just the lack of a single dash or space that keeps the search results from sorting properly. For TV episodes some just use the name, some use the episode number and there are many variations on how to do the number E.g. 611, 6x11, 06x11, s06e11 etc... This makes it very hard to find what we're looking for.

Judging from the response I everyone sees the value of having a rigid standard for file naming across the board, all apps. I say all applications because people switch from one to another but share the same files. I try different ones all the time.

A butterfly flaps it's wings in Tokyo and it rains in Central Park
    or one small action can have huge effects.

If we all agree to this, lets start spreading the word. Put the info in the description box of your more popular files as well as maybe a link back to page one of this thread. Just a basic description of the thread and a link would do. Every time you go to another forum, post a link to page one of this thread (zeropaid, fasttrack etc...). It may seem like a long shot to get every one doing it, but it goes along with the basic premise of file sharing. One person shares a new file and millions end up with it. The same can be done with this, but everyone has to get the same info on what the standard is.

B)

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Again, Nost, great concept in general (disorganized file lists r a pain in the a**), but I'd have to say the effort is wasted if ur only talking about FT. The network is so clogged with fakes and inferior quality files that personal organization seems pointless.

I would have to agree with junkyardking that there are superior options out there for folk who appreciate organization. My current favs r eMule (or similar mods) and SoulSeek.

Good luck.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Originally posted by guit_steel@12 January 2004 - 15:22
    Again, Nost, great concept in general (disorganized file lists r a pain in the a**), but I'd have to say the effort is wasted if ur only talking about FT.  The network is so clogged with fakes and inferior quality files that personal organization seems pointless.
    Well that's just it. I'm not talking about FT, but all apps and networks. The only way the it's pointless is when we resign our selves to the way things are and to not use a standardized system because you don't like one app or another. No matter what app we use we are still a community and it does nothing but benifit us to get together on certain issues like this one. I'm not just talking about personal orginization, I'm talking about making it easier for everyone to share and find files. To see what I mean try and find a new episode of something like Charmed. You'll find that you have to try a number of ways to find which file everyone is shareing the most because people rename the files when they get them and take the name of the episode out, or it's not there in the first place and only a few add it when they've downloaded it. Then you have to search by number and there are many ways to doing the episode number so you have to do seperate searching for every way. This doesn't work well because people change the file when they get it to their own way of numbering so that you don't get anywhere near the results for the file as you could get if they were all names the same. When you expande the result in the search window, most of the time you'll find the a bunch of people have changed the way of numbering with in the same file. Of course the only way to find this out is to do a search just using the series name, then slog through hundreds of relults in an effort to find which verions of the episode is the most used so that there are lots of sources to draw from.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    On a slightly different subject: I have pdf files made up from University assignments and personal studies on the subjects of environmental health, toxicology, waste dumps, chemical leaching, poisoning, etc.

I have submitted these files' hashes (with appropriate metatags inserted into the Adobe Acrobat format) to http://www.rpgo.net/hasnain/add.php. So, that's the hashes submitted. How do I actually get these files uploaded to wherever, or do I just have to wait for someone to pull the file from me when I'm P2Peeing?

My files are available from: People Poisoned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12