Thread: Slow Download Whne Pc Left Alone

Hi,

I find that if I'm downlading a movie, and I leave it for a long period of time, very often I will be getting great speeds at the start, (50k/sec) but when I come back it will only have downloaded a tiny bit and the speeds wil have dropped to 1-5k/sec. Then if I start using my computer, surfing the web, they will speed up again. If I use "Find more sources" it usually helps, but I read that you should not have to do this if the accellerator is configure properly.

This is how my accelerator is configured:

Sometimes I can be downloading with lots of sources, good bandwidth, and still get crappy speeds...

Can anyone give me some advice?
    Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Haven't been using KL++ lately so u'll have to check with someone else as to whether the 2.6 factor is kicking in.

That said, give ur accelerator some time to work on a file before u zoom to the next. I would recommend bumping the time between cycles to at least 600s and bumping the time between items to at least 30s or 45s. After that u could also lower ur dl speed threshold to 5kbps and increase ur pause & resume to 2 or 3 cycles.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    have a similar problem with overnet . One answer that i found out to help me was to have overnet in my main window but not in the system tray or minimize you <understand?> so im going to give you some advise but i dont know if it will actually work but its a shot

1st. make sure kazaalite is in the main window and not minimize to the sytem tray
    2nd make sure the file have a good speed to it
    3rd highlight the file and leave it like that
    4th turn off your moniter and go to sleep

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@12 January 2004 - 15:25
    1st. make sure kazaalite is in the main window and not minimize to the sytem tray
    Do u throw a pinch of salt over ur shoulder too?

Sorry, couldn&#39;t resist the joke.
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by guit_steel+12 January 2004 - 23:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guit_steel @ 12 January 2004 - 23:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ZeroTolerance@12 January 2004 - 15:25
    Do u throw a pinch of salt over ur shoulder too?

Sorry, couldn&#39;t resist the joke. [/b][/quote]
    usually i will flame you about this but you can pass

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by Collymonster@12 January 2004 - 20:52
    Hi,

I find that if I&#39;m downlading a movie, and I leave it for a long period of time, very often I will be getting great speeds at the start, (50k/sec) but when I come back it will only have downloaded a tiny bit and the speeds wil have dropped to 1-5k/sec. Then if I start using my computer, surfing the web, they will speed up again. If I use "Find more sources" it usually helps, but I read that you should not have to do this if the accellerator is configure properly.

Sometimes I can be downloading with lots of sources, good bandwidth, and still get crappy speeds...

Can anyone give me some advice?
    Thanks.
    Just a guess here....but I would imagine under the KaZaa Lite ++ options menu on the Advanced Tab you have the box checked that says "Extra upload bandwidth when computer is idle". If so, uncheck it. What will happen if this box is checked is when you leave your computer alone for an extended period of time, KaZaa will start sending as much data as it possibly can to other users. What this means is that your total amount of upload bandwidth from your ISP is being choked by sending data to other users and there is no room to send out requests for more data for your downloads.

This can happen when you are sitting at your computer and it&#39;s not "idle" also. On the same Tab under the Options menu there is a spot where you can specify "Maximum bandwidth in kilobytes to be used for transferring files to other KaZaa Lite K++ members" If this number is set too high you can get the same problem where KaZaa eats up all your upload bandwidth to send data to other folks and has no room left to send out requests for more data to your downloads. For example, my ISP limits my total upload bandwidth to 32KB/sec. If I have the "Maximum bandwidth to use to transfer to others" set to 256 my connection chokes and download rates drop dramatically. (256 divided by 8 equals 32KB/sec...the max I can transfer at). So what I do is when I am downloading, I set that value to be 128. (128 divided by 8 equals 16KB/sec) This means there is now 16KB/sec of upload bandwidth available for KaZaa to send out requests to others for more data for my downloads and 16KB/sec available to upload data to other folks. Once my downloads finish, I will crank that number back up to 256 so that other folks get decent transfer rates from me.

One other thing to consider. Limit the total number of simultaneous uploads that KaZaa will allow. For example, say everybody is limited to an upload rate of 32KB/sec like I am. If each person limits uploads to 2 at a time they will be transferring at 16KB/sec for each upload. If they allowed 10 uploads at a time, they would be transferring at a rate of 3KB/sec to each upload. Now, when someone goes to download a file, they are limited by KaZaa to only downloading from 16-20 users at a time. Would you rather be downloading from those people at 16KB/sec each(320KB/sec total) or at 3KB/sec from each(60KB/sec total)? Since the KaZaa network doesn&#39;t support partial file sharing like BitTorrent and others, the quicker someone can download a complete file means that persons bandwidth can now be used to transfer the file to others sooner. The end result is this....limiting your upload to a couple people at a time results in the file spreading faster across the network.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Thanks guys. My max bandwidthis set to 24, and the Extra upload bandwidth is not ticked,s o it shouldn;t pose a problem...

ZeroTolerance, although the suggestions may sound lalittle crazy I wound&#39;t be surprised if they work, some programs can be a little weird likt that... I&#39;ll try it tonight and let you know, But the file I&#39;m trying to dload right now doesn&#39;t have very many sources...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Collymonster@12 January 2004 - 19:39
    Thanks guys. My max bandwidthis set to 24, and the Extra upload bandwidth is not ticked,s o it shouldn;t pose a problem...
    You do realize that setting max upload bandwidth to 24 is only 24 kilobits/sec or in other words 3 KB/sec (KiloBytes/second.) That&#39;s something many 56k modems can do.

If you&#39;re managing download speeds of 50 KB/sec, try setting uploads to at least 64 kilobits/sec (8 KB/sec) just to be fair. It may even be ok to set it to 128 kilobits/sec (16 KB/sec) or even 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) depending on your connection. (Helps to know from your ISP how fast your connection is SUPPOSED to be&#33;

Lastly, you can run KL++&#39;s installer wizard program to tweak upload speed further so it&#39;s below max but closer than 50% of max. Using your Upload bandwidth in this way shouldn&#39;t hurt download speed noticeably as long as you&#39;re only using about 80% of it.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by ZeroTolerance@12 January 2004 - 17:28
    usually i will flame you about this but you can pass
    Yeah....I probably would have deserved the flame, but as I said, I couldn&#39;t resist. Ah, what the heck, what&#39;s the point if we can&#39;t joke around a bit.