Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Connect

I grew fond of Klite and it was hard to let it go. But as my fondest wish is to download as quickly as I can I replaced it with Reverse Connect.

From https://sourceforge.net/projects/reverseconnect/
    "Reverse Connect is a P2P software that runs on Direct Connect network. It uses DC++ as codebase and it is just some tweak of DC++ at present. The main goal of this project is to add some crucial features to DC++."

Basicaly RC is a working DC++ mod in alpha stage that lets you download the same file from multiple sources.

If you test drive it, be sure to untic (set to off) option (Settings > Advanced) Enable secure user identification. That will save you from being kicked from a lot of hubs.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    How can i download off more than once source i have downloaded this program and still i don't know how to do it.

plz reply

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    aserty's Avatar Poster
    Start downloading and if it has mroe then one source it will try its best to download from them.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by aserty@16 January 2004 - 01:34
    Start downloading and if it has more then one source it will try its best to download from them.
    Exactly. Right click the file you're downloading and 'search for alternates', everything should work automatically.

You can also check if you have ticked the 'Automatically search for alternative download locations' in Advanced options. Or you can always manually add source to your 'queued sources'. How? First right click file and 'search for alternates', then right click result (or a group of results) and if you can 'download to...' existing file (that is already downloading) it's the same file and the source can be added.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Neuromancer@12 January 2004 - 18:43

If you test drive it, be sure to untic (set to off) option (Settings > Advanced) Enable secure user identification. That will save you from being kicked from a lot of hubs.
    i really like that option why would someone include a feature like that if this wasnt some type of leecher dc , why do most hubs ban them like u said ?

what happens in a big hub if several ppl have this client and are dl something popular ?
    then there will be no slots left for other ppl if one client takes up to many slots ? now thats what i call leeching imagine if everyone used the client
    Open your mind

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I was afraid this post will not be imune from a dispute whether Reverse Connect is good or bad for the DC community. If you are looking for a war of opinions, there are a few good ones in DC++ forum.

I think that ops kicking Reverse Connect clients are doing wrong. Because sure with RC you take more slots, but you also free them quicker. And you get what you want, quicker. Isn't that a good thing?

DC communities are more leecher prone, because fellow users quickly complain about people who fake shares and usually those who share nothing can't get into the good hubs.

In this aspect I think the real problem in DC hubs are slow connections. Asimetrical accounts. Cable operators who sell 1.5 Mbps download with 256 Kbps uploads. That is a similar to saying leeching is a natural thing to do - we know you will take more than you will give. And of course when counting problems one must not forget people who want to download a 700 Mb file over a 56 Kbps line.

DC++ (therefore also RC) keeps an up / down ratio. Mine is 1.76 at the moment. Quite good considering a have a measly 256 Kbps upload and comparative monstruos 1536 Kpbs download. But I resist the temptation of taking more that I can give and that I think makes me a better person.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    It's the classic 'It's not the gun that kills people, but the man who pulls the trigger' discussion. In the hands of a leecher every client is bad.
    Irony of it all, I remember when DC++ itself used to be an 'outlawed' client...

On a sidenote, is that a total shareratio you're talking about or just the session shareratio? I can only find the latter.
    Can't remember a movie's name? Ask help at MovieWorld's Lost & Found

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I remember when DC++ itself used to be an 'outlawed' client...
    Indeed, it was...

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Originally posted by NotoriousBIC+18 January 2004 - 22:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NotoriousBIC &#064; 18 January 2004 - 22:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It&#39;s the classic &#39;It&#39;s not the gun that kills people, but the man who pulls the trigger&#39; discussion. In the hands of a leecher every client is bad.[/b]

Well spoken.

<!--QuoteBegin-NotoriousBIC
    @18 January 2004 - 22:43
    On a sidenote, is that a total shareratio you&#39;re talking about or just the session shareratio? I can only find the latter.[/quote]
    Total share ratio. I imagine. It doesn&#39;t exactly say what it is that can be found through the about tab, but it doesn&#39;t change when the program freezes.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Good news: many hubs slowly start to accept Reverse Connect&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast