Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcd, Svcd, Kvcd

Poster
    sorry if this is in the wrong place but i was wondering which format is the best choice vcd, svcd or kvcd? if there are advantages and disadvantages over one plz specify

thx

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    SVCD all the way...kvcd is pretty pointless, quality is less than VCD but it holds more...

then again, it depends on wat source its coming from and what yourd dvd play supports

VCD-70-80min \
    KVCD-1hr to 2hr |----how much a 700mb 80min cd-r can hold
    SVCD-50min /

EDIT: wheres much??!

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Poster
    it would be nice to know what all those letters mean in the descriptions of movies anyway

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    muchspl2

kvcd is best all around solution, 2 hours on 1 cd = teh win
    svcds are bulky and require 3 disc to fit the whole movie most of the time, hell vcd requires 2 disc most of the time, it just sucks to have to swap disc half way through

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Poster
    when looking at the description of a movie to download, what does [smr] mean

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Originally posted by TheFilePirater@12 January 2004 - 16:55
    SVCD all the way...kvcd is pretty pointless, quality is less than VCD but it holds more...

then again, it depends on wat source its coming from and what yourd dvd play supports

VCD-70-80min \
    KVCD-1hr to 2hr |----how much a 700mb 80min cd-r can hold
    SVCD-50min /

EDIT: wheres much??!
    I keep saying u can not judge every kvcd by one u have seen. Kvcd is right near dvd quality all on one disc u just need to know what u are doing.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Kvcd isn't that compatible tho
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    muchspl2
    Originally posted by Keikan@12 January 2004 - 19:46
    Kvcd isn't that compatible tho
    I have tried it in about 30 different players, most have no problems playing kvcd

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    It's just about compatible as vcd and svcd I played one in my brother's truck and it played so I know alot of dvd players can support them just go to www.kvcd.net to find out how many are supported and that's not a full list because every dvd player hasn't been tested.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    VCD is pointless if your dvd player supports the other two, because it just wastes space on the disc as it only supports CBR (constant bit rates).

SVCD and KVCD use VBR (variable bit rates) so they offer better use of the disc space.

It's just a matter of choice which you use. If you want the best quality use SVCD, if you want to fit more on each cd use KVCD.

I use none of the above, prefer to create DVD complient movies. I can get a similar quality to space ratio as KVCD on my movies by lowering the VBR, and they are compitible with all dvd players.

vcd, svcd and kvcd are only for people with cd writers. If you have a dvd writer you don't need to bother with them. i think these formats will become virtually extinct as dvd writers become more commonly used, especially with the introduction of dual layer dvd-r discs in the near future.

I can fit 3 hours of dvd quality movies on one 4.7 Gb dvd-r disk, so there simply isnt the need to resort to formats with limited player support.

You can of course buy dvd players that support mpeg4 format movies, so supporting its derivatives (Divx/Xvid). They offer far better compression than any of the above .
    Robert00000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast