Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Is A Fridge

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    So Rossco, you have fears about watercooling, but no qualms at all about completely disassembling your PC and cramming it into a fridge?
    Interesting hierarchy of phobias you have there.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@12 January 2004 - 19:17
    So Rossco, you have fears about watercooling, but no qualms at all about completely disassembling your PC and cramming it into a fridge?
    Interesting hierarchy of phobias you have there.
    lol, well the only problem i see with putting it in the fridge would be that the water would form and short it out, watercooling the pipes could snap and stuff and then their is a lot fo water everywhere.

The watercooling problem i know already, but the "cramming it into a fridge" part i wasnt sure about but since their is a chance of codensation im definately not doing it, i was just wondering what would happen.

SO im not just afraid of watercooling im afraid of both now, becuase their is a chance in both cases that everything could get fried.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@12 January 2004 - 16:31
    @clocker ur probabyly right about watercooling being simpler, but i disagree.

Im only 15 and dont have a job, if i get a new computer it will be after saving up for like over a year, christmas, birthday, lunch money, found money, etc. And if i was to water cool id be scared shitless that hte pipes would snap or something stupid like that and it would just get me worrying. Plus with tubes coming out of my computer going into a fridge their is the risk of my sister accidently pulling the pipes and then the water leaks out and frys stuff or maybe hte fridge might be knocked over or moved when my mom cleans my room (shes very aggressive, shes noknocked my computer over a few times, on a wood floor , then it turns itself off from the shock). sticking the whole computer into a fridge is less risky in my opinion sorry. (although i dont think i know much about watercooling, heck im afraid of the new natural gas stove, i tihnk its gonna like bnlow me up or something lol.
    tried air?
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Actually, this isn't as silly as it sounds at first.

The only reason you get condensation is because of the water in the air. Once you've removed that water, there is no more to cause condensation. If you pack the bottom of the fridge with bags of silica gel (which you often get with some components) this will absorb any condensation.

An additional precaution would be to have an air feed into the fridge with the air being passed through calcium chloride - a strong drying agent - in order to fill the fridge with dry air before start up. It could also be used in a recirculatory mode, thereby removing any water entering by air leakage.

As long as you don't open the door the air inside will remain dry. If you do need to open the door, the calcium chloride option allows for a rapid removal of any introduced water.

Edit: Having said that, I would keep the psu outside the fridge, just to be on the safe side.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    Actually, this isn't as silly as it sounds at first.

The only reason you get condensation is because of the water in the air. Once you've removed that water, there is no more to cause condensation. If you pack the bottom of the fridge with bags of silica gel (which you often get with some components) this will absorb any condensation.

An additional precaution would be to have an air feed into the fridge with the air being passed through calcium chloride - a strong drying agent - in order to fill the fridge with dry air before start up. It could also be used in a recirculatory mode, thereby removing any water entering by air leakage.

As long as you don't open the door the air inside will remain dry. If you do need to open the door, the calcium chloride option allows for a rapid removal of any introduced water.

Edit: Having said that, I would keep the psu outside the fridge, just to be on the safe side.
    Yeah what he said...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    umm how much electricity u wud be using on the fridge and the computer?too much?

My Blog
    I'm still here.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    shpouldn't... not too much...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by jaigandhi5@12 January 2004 - 23:30
    umm how much electricity u wud be using on the fridge and the computer?too much?
    those mini fridges are only a few hundred watts at the most, my big fridge is like 5 or 6 hundred how im guessing the little ones are probably about 100watts. And the rest of teh computer would probably use like 200 300 at most so thats not too much power.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    I get by with 1 fan+1 heatsink - I must be the odd one out

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    BANNED
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@13 January 2004 - 07:39
    I get by with 1 fan+1 heatsink - I must be the odd one out
    You're not alone, man. It's ALL good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast