Thread: Defragment Enigma

Why my hard disk is finded by Diskeeper Pro heavily defragmented after i downloaded a movie from bittorent using ABC ? And not only with ABC , i noticed i have the same problem using Overnet or K-Lite.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Because downloading from bittorrent is downloading stuff in chunks.... a piece from the beginning, then a piece from the end, then a piece from the middle, etc. This incites fragmentation. From k-lite, wouldnt know why that happens. However, drives fragment either way so whatever lol

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ok , thanks , we must to invent a bittorent client that don't mess up the hard disk's

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    k-lite (FT clients) builds up the file as it downloads instead of reserving the completed file size to start with, causing fragmentation

with ed2k clients you do not have this problem

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by sharedholder@13 January 2004 - 13:41
    Ok , thanks , we must to invent a bittorent client that don't mess up the hard disk's
    It would be impossible for Bittorrent/edonkey/overnet not to defragment because of the efficient way they share files.

Because they take small chunks of files you can download from people who don't have the complete file, so more can share that file.

Windows stores the chunks of the file wherever there is room, as not to waste space. Thats why you get bits here and bits there .

As DWk said, degramentation will happen in any case so there is no way around it
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Here you go.

My C: Drive (Windows and Apps)

My D: Drive (Downloads)

My E: Drive (Games and storage of some downloads that don't fit on the other partitions....cough pr0n cough )

My Z: Drive (this is actually another drive - just holds some downloads.... but barely touch it. It holds the mp3's I use every day)

How are your drives, SH?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by Robert00000@13 January 2004 - 08:59
    Windows stores the chunks of the file wherever there is room, as not to waste space. Thats why you get bits here and bits there  .

As DWk said, degramentation will happen in any case so there is no way around it 
    yeah, i was reading about that somewhere (web, windows help, cant remember)

and since i sarted using emule, it frags more often
    (never had windows tell me to defrag til i used emule)

lots of recomendations for defragging at least once a week,
    think i have to agree
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.