Originally posted by PleaseShare@19 January 2004 - 04:58
For sharing files, the optimal bandwidth split for downloading to uploading is 50:50 because for every download there is an equal upload.  We get so frustrated not being able to download over kazaa because of a lack of sources, i.e., uploading bandwidth, when we have plenty of downloading bandwidth.  This is due to the unequal distribution of bandwidth between downloadin to uploading (in my case down to up is 180kb/s to 40kb/s).  My uploading is always maxed out, and my downloading is usually less than my uploading.  I have so much wasted downloading bandwidth, and many others with fast connections also experience the same.  Even if I can magically give away my bandwidth to my downloaders, they can download any faster from me because my upload is maxed out.  And when I want to download something, I end up waiting forever for it because of this unequal distribution of bandwidth.  Guys, ISP do this on purpose, not because they don't know that the ridiculous bandwidth distribution is inefficient.  All our wasted bandwidth can go to new clients for the ISP.

Because I hardly ever need more than 50kb/s for surfing, I feel that my bandwidth downloading to uploading distribution of 180kb/s to 40kb/s totally ridiculous.  I would be so much happier with 90kb/s to 90kb/s.  And my ISP is Road Runner, which is supposed to be fast.  Let me know if you know of a better ISP.
Fortunately, it doesn't work quite like that for cablemodems and even many ADSL lines. You can quite literally upload and download at about 80% max at the same time... that is if you can actually keep your downloads going that fast.

Some spare upload bandwidth is needed to maintain download speeds though, as each tcp/ip packet needs to be replied back to in order for the other end to know that packet got through ok and to send more. The ratio is about 1 KB/sec of upload bandwidth is needed for about every 40 KB/sec of download speed you're getting.

My ComCast cablemodem maxes out around 160 KB/sec download and 30 KB/sec (or less) upload. YOURS IS BETTER. BTW, in many places (parts of Texas and Florida and no doubt elsewhere) Road Runner was BLOCKING Kazaa in at least 1 way -- probably by ip port 1214. Making complaints to your ISP about not being 'fast enough', if they ARE delivering speeds they offered isn't very wise... especially since they tend to take such a dim view of file-sharing. However pointing out their advertised speeds didn't apply to uploads if you have any other problems might work out ok.

Anyhow, not everyone would want or even need high upload speeds if it meant higher monthly bills. But lots of people want fast downloads... they just don't realize that on file-sharing networks, the download speed is less than the active uploading speeds. And even if everyone had equal upload and download speeds, there'd still be leeches and overloaded connections -- so once again many/most people would not be able to download as fast as they are uploading.