Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Was Captain Kangaroo?

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Just listening to the Pulp Fiction soundtrack song "Flowers on the Wall" and he mentions watching Captain Kangaroo...what the hell is that?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    tv show??

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    it was a kids t.v. show back in the day...don't you remember a character called mr.green jeans he was on the show too.i guess if you don't live in the states you probally would'nt of seen it.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

tv show??
    Really? What was it about? You ever watch it?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Yeah I think its a cartoon character

edit - here ya go. I was wrong

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    no he was a real person......

Captain Kangaroo was the longest running network children's show of all time - from 1955 until 1984, the good Captain could be seen on CBS. Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum played sidekick Mr. Green Jeans, joining Cosmo Allegretti's hand-puppets Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit in the Captain's Treasure House.

Before Keeshan was a captain he was a clown - probably the most famous clown of the 1950s - Clarabell from the 'Howdy Doody Show' starring Buffalo Bob.

'Howdy Doody' first aired on December 27, 1947 and is credited for selling more people on the future of television than any other single event. Millions of children tuned in to the daily live kid's show, and Clarabell the clown was an important part of the ensemble - selling millions of Poll Parrot shoes, assorted toys, dolls and packaged cereals for the show's sponsors.

Unfortunately, Buffalo Bob and Bob Keeshan didn't much care for each other. Keeshan was fired in 1950, and replaced by another performer - but a flood of phone calls and mail from skeptical kids who could tell the difference in the clowns forced producers to re-hire him a few weeks later.

Keeshan was fired again (along with almost all of the rest of the supporting cast of 'Howdy Doody&#39, when he led an uprising over more money minutes before going on the air live in December, 1952.

Bob Keeshan was only 28 years old in 1955 when he and producer Jack Miller created 'Captain Kangaroo'. Television was a relatively new addition to most American homes - there had never been a generation of kids exposed to home-video entertainment before, so the series was designed to give kids a gentle alternative to the frenetic nature of most children's shows of the day (of which 'Howdy Doody' was one of the worst offenders). Watching an episode of Captain Kangaroo show from the early-sixties, one is struck by the achingly slow pace and overall gentle nature of the show.

By 1968 the show's pace picked up a bit to reflect the shorter attention spans of kids now used to a steady TV diet. A new cartoon feature starring "Lariat Sam" was added, along with travelogues with the Captain and his Dancing Bear touring the great cities of the world.

In the Seventies stars like Marlo Thomas and Carol Channing would visit the show, and in 1980 Bill Cosby became a semi-regular. Slim Goodbody (John Burnstein) also joined the show in 1980 - a man wearing a bodystocking with the various organs of the body painted on it.

In 1981, CBS cut the running time of the show from one hour to a half-hour and moved the show from its 8:00 am timeslot to make way for the 'CBS Morning News'. The series was re-titled 'Wake up with the Captain' and came on at 7:00 am, later moving to 6:30.

A year later, the show left the weekday morning schedule altogether and began running for an hour on Saturday and Sunday Mornings starting at 7:00. In 1984, CBS cancelled the Captain, and Bob Keeshan brought the show to PBS where it ran for several more years.

Today, Bob Keeshan is a public speaker and children's advocate

here is a link with more info....http://www.tvparty.com/lostterrytoons.html

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Cheers Tackdaddy I will peruse that link later on.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    bout to say nah never saw it thought it sucked!!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Man I am getting old.Next some kid is going to ask what was school house rock?And then someday they will be asking about the Smurfs.

I guess that is life.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@13 January 2004 - 21:04
    Man I am getting old.Next some kid is going to ask what was school house rock?And then someday they will be asking about the Smurfs.

I guess that is life.
    Hey dude we're roughly the same age..but we never had Capt Kangaroo over here in the UK But what is school house rock?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast