Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All My Downloads R Really Slow...what Should I Do?

200kilobits/sec equals 25KB/sec. If this is your upload rate, then you need to put the setting in KaZaa to something like 128 kilobits per second to get decent download rates (if you are not downloading, raise this rate to 256 to make sure you are using all your upload bandwidth to share to other people). But from the results you posted, it says it took you 41seconds to downlaod a 1MB file which leads me to believe that this test you ran measured your Download speed and not your Upload. If this is the case, your download rate blows for a DSL. Did you shut down all P2P apps and stuff before you ran the test? The only program you should be running when you do these online tests is your web browser.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    I had msn and msn explorer running. So is my downloads just going to be slow all the time or is there something I can do?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    It looks to me that your downloads are just going to be low (25KB/sec max). I would call your ISP and find out exactly what the upload and download rates are for your service. This will tell you FOR SURE what speeds to expect.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    But you see I want mine to go at at least 10kb/s all mine at the moment are going at 1.00kb/s so what is worng?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Call you ISP and get the max Upload/Download rates for your service and we can make sure you are getting the most out of KaZaa. Are you using a router to share your internet connection between a couple computers in your home? How many downloads are you running at the same time? How many uploads are you running at the same time? This is all important information we need to help you out.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Well we have 2 computers that are conected to the modem and or dsl is meant to be only 8x dial up speed. Limits 10 downloads and 5 uploads.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    OK, based on that information, limit your total uploads to be ONE at a time. The more total uploads you have the more overhead in bandwidth it is going to take to keep things running smoothly. Limit yourself to downloading ONE file at a time. Since it seems that you are only going to get a MAX download rate of 25KB/sec then running only one download at a time will help you get closer to that MAX amount. Set the option in KaZaa that you originally had at 8192 kilobits to 128 kilobits.

One more thing, in the KaZaa options on the Filter Tab, uncheck the box that says "Filter content I cannot download due to firewalls" then run a search on a popular file and see if you get red X's in your search results. If you see red X's, you are most likely running a router and will need to do some more tweaking to get KaZaa running smoothly. If you see no red X's then you are good to go.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    So you are saying that if I only have only thing downloading it will go faster? So I have about 10 thing in the middle of downloading at the moment what should I do?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    OK i did that thing to see if there are any red crosses and there were heaps so what do i do?

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Pause 7 or 8 of them until the rest finish downloading then resume them as more finish.

If you can only download at a MAX of 25KB/sec due to your ISP, if you download 1 file at a time you will get close to that 25KB/sec. If you download 2 files at a time you will get close to 12.5KB/sec for each. If you download 5 files at a time you will get close to 5KB/sec for each. If you download 10 files at a time you will get close to 2.5KB/sec for each. See how that works?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast