Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All My Downloads R Really Slow...what Should I Do?

Does anyone know what I could do to speed the downloads up? :helpsmile:

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    nsane's Avatar .
    1. try changing ports (Options > Kazaa Options... > Firewall)

2. don't share too many files (around 100-200 is ok)

3. finish downloading all files (if you want), close kazaa, and delete all the .dat files in your shared folder

4. right click the download then click 'Find More Sources'

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks but nothing seems to be working.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    your download speed depends on the # of sources for it and their upload speed, and don't be fooled by what you see in the search window they are not an indication of who is available for connection so change supernodes to see if you get lucky, also use localized supernodes, also try changing ports, and lower your upload bandwidth,remove the no ip sources from your dat files and see if it helps

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Old Fella
    What speed DSL do you have, and you say all your downloads are 5 K but is that just on 1 download, and if so how many downloads do you have running and what is total download speed.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    How do you lower your upload bandwith?

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by 2_cool_4_u@14 January 2004 - 19:21
    How do you lower your upload bandwith?
    Best/Easiest way is to just run the KL++ Installation Wizard and set upload bandwidth that way.

The OTHER way is to click on KL++ Tools, Advanced, and change the bandwidth used to send files to other users to either 24,32,64,128,256,512,etc. NOTE: those numbers are in kilobits/sec -- it takes 8 kilobits/sec to equal 1 KiloBYTE/sec (KB/sec)!

So 64 kilobits/sec is only 8 KB/sec!
    MOST broadband connections only have 256 kilobits/sec (32 KB/sec) upload bandwidth TOTAL -- not all of which can be devoted to uploading files in KL++ or there will be slowdowns on downloads and web browsing.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Mine was 8192 is that bad? Also how do I know what speed my dsl is?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    You can call your ISP and ask what the upload cap is for their service. You can do a google search for bandwidth tester and run those. You can look in KaZaa and add up the total amount of speed being used by your uploads. Of these three methods, either of the first 2 should give you a fairly accurate idea of what your upload cap is. If you decide to try the online bandwidth testers, make sure you have all internet applications shut down for more accurate results (i.e. don't be running KaZaa or other P2P apps or internet games). Totalling the uploads in KaZaa will probably give you a lower result.

8192kb/sec is probably a bad setting for your connection. 8192kb/sec works out to be 124KB/sec. Unless you have a high-end DSL subscription, odds are there is no way you can upload at 124KB/sec and this is what is slowing down your downloads. Try dropping this setting down to 128kb/sec (16KB/sec) and see if that helps speed up your downloads.

Finally, if you are using a broadband router to split your ISP connection between a few different computers in your home, you will have to configure your router to forward the ports that KaZaa uses (found under the Options on the Firewall tab) and install KaNat and run that while KaZaa is running. There are several threads lurking around this forum that talk about port forwarding and KaNat if you need to investigate further.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    I did a test and I got this

Speed
    200.3 kilobits per second

Communications 200.3 kilobits per second
    Storage 24.4 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 41.9 seconds
    Subjective rating Mediocre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast